Dan
The Epitome of an econo box...funny how these cars are now collectors items...like the beetle...so many people think it's strange that so many of "us" would invest so much time and money in an old economy car. Instead of a Jag..or Vette.?
http://sbse.home.comcast.net/
Quote 0 0
dods1600
As all Beetle owners know the heating systems in the beetle aren't the greatest design. Is there a kit which will help the system to actually work in cold. Mine only works in the summer when it's 40C.
1600cc biggest most powerful engine for a stock beetle. Power house!:) Smokes the tires in first in the rain
Quote 0 0
Wayne
Everyone tells the story of scraping ice off the inside of the windshield in the winter. It's a sad fact but true...the heating system in the Beetle isn't very good. There is only one option to improve the heating, and that is to purchase a gas heater. I've heard that they will turn your Beetle into an oven. I haven't seen any new units for sale so you'll probably have to eBay for it or check at in the vendor section at the next air-cooled VW event in your area.

If you're not up to spending the coin for a gas heater, check your heating system to see if it is operating properly. Make sure that all the cables are opening the flaps to let what little heat you're going to get in. I've also seen little fans for sale the in VW Trends ad section, you install them in the front heater ducts to force more air to the defrost vents.
Quote 0 0
Whyshchuck
Yes!!
It's the fact that heating system doesn't work in the most of beetles, but very often its caused by rotten pipes, especially in (hmm... how you call in english this thresholds between front and rear wing?) ...but I've heard that some people install pipes made of PCV there to avoid from rust.

Webasto - oil heater isn't bad but it steals all the place in the luggage-carrier.

greetings
Szymon
Quote 0 0
Dan
Wayne your right there is a reasonably priced kit around 129.00 which includes two booster fans which will force hot air through the original system faster than stock heater boxes. Only works if the orig. system is in working condition though. If your car is rusted through in the channels or heater boxes not functiong properly the kit won't work. Gas heaters work well, but personally those things scare me...:-/
http://sbse.home.comcast.net/
Quote 0 0
68autobug
Its strange, but I have never heard anyone in Australia complain about heaters in Air Cooled VWs ... Our temps only go down to -5 C [usually the minimum] but normally around 8-10C during the day [minimum] , the other thing is, Salt & chemicals are not put on our roads during winter... so Our heater channels are usually NOT rusted... so is this one of the reasons our Heaters work so well..?? I had not seen or heard of a rusted out heater channel until I started reading UK & US VW Magazines about 10 years ago... and I wasn't aware that this was a major problem until reading ALL the posts on Various UK & North American Forums etc... Back in the early sixties,during Winter, everyone knew that You were lucky if You were in a VW Beetle , as their heaters were Famous.. and MUCH better than other makes of cars...

Lee Noonan 68AutoBug
68AutoBug - helping keep air cooled Volkswagens alive in Australia & around the World -

http://community.webshots.com/user/vw68autobug
-
Quote 0 0
Wayne
I don't know if you've ever heard of this car, but I owned a 1972 Honda N600. This was a 2 cylinder air-cooled car (smaller than a Mini) that Honda made for 3 years. The heater exchanger was located under the front hood (with the engine) and that was how we got heat for the car. They had an optional grill cover for the winter that would help to increase the heat during the cold months.

Here's a picture of one...

That's not me inside
Quote 0 0
68autobug
Yes, I do remember those Wayne, they were called Honda Scamps here in Australia. I also remember the S800 sports car. Honda has come a long way haven't they...

Lee Noonan 68AutoBug
68AutoBug - helping keep air cooled Volkswagens alive in Australia & around the World -

http://community.webshots.com/user/vw68autobug
-
Quote 0 0
repetofndr
The Jag and Vette guys couldn't possibly be having more fun than we are with our VWs!
My heater works great but I know that my car has no rust in the channels. I'm in the market for a new muffler and I'm worried that anything but stock will diminish my heaters. What do you think?
Pete
62 baja
73 dune buggy
72 daily driver (soon)
Quote 0 0