Jay
Hey,
 I am writing cause i heard a man talking about which levers to pull up on my 74 super to start the heater, defroster. Do diffrent combos. chang where the air goes? 
                            Thanks,
                                  Jay
Quote 0 0
Wayne

There are only 4 choices. Hot or cold. Windshield defroster or the floor outlets. It's pretty primative but it gets the job done

Quote 0 0
NYer_in_MI
In an owner's manual that I have, the left lever is supposed to be for heat 'on'  (up) and 'off' (down).  With the left one up and the right one down, this is supposed to force more heat up to the defroster vents, because the right lever controls the rear seat heat openings.  For morning warm ups / defrost, it recommends to drive first with the vent wing cracked open to allow better air flow into the passenger cab.  Have only the left (driver's) side up (on) with the right down (off) to maximize the hot air being forced up toward the front.  Once adequate 'defrosting' has occurred and front seat temps are acceptable, then open the lever for the rear heat ducts (right hand, or passenger side lever).  Of course, the manual is for a 1967 Beetle, but I find that the same levers do the same thing on the 'later' Volkswagens as well.

Daniel
Daniel Mosher
Resident Cartoonist

www.allaircooled.com
www.superbeetles.com
Quote 0 0
flash

My 73 has a defrost on off switch for the fan on the dash.  It's a small 1/2 inch or so round knob.  You open the two outside air vent knobs then turn the smaller fan knob on.

Loren

Loren R. Knapp
In The Hot Sonoran Desert of Arizona - 73 Super Beetle "The Blues."
Quote 0 0
NYer_in_MI

Loren,

You are referring, no doubt, to the fresh air fan mounted behind the dash?  That is a wholly separate issue, although I expect the idea behind it was that the fan would assist in drawing heated air more quickly up the defrost tubes.  Not entirely sure, as the defrost heat tubes are installed independently from the electric fresh air fan.  In any Super that I've owned, I've only ever drawn air with this fan directly from out doors... helpful on humid nights when one's windshield wants to fog up... but not much on actual defrosting (in my own humble experience). To push heat up to the front, the above instructions are what I find to work well enough.  Driver's side up, passenger side down.  But, I know what switch of which you are speaking, I believe sir. 

Faithfully in Bugging,

Daniel

Daniel Mosher
Resident Cartoonist

www.allaircooled.com
www.superbeetles.com
Quote 0 0
aircooled299
LOL, Loren probably has the same window defrosting problems I do here in L.A. I couldn't begin to tell you how to defrost a windshield.
-Patrick
Quote 0 0