b15605
OK, I have had a rumbling coming from the right rear of the car.  After reading the forum some I was convinced this was either CV's or wheel bearings.  I got all this apart and reassembled with new grease, etc.  As I was tightening the bolts on the CV at the tranny end, I started hearing the noise, but only as I worked my ratchet.  I then began feeling around and it turns out the noise I was hearing was actually coming from the heater box wiggling around...

So, I have a few questions:

1.  My left side has some tin between the heater box and the engine, which looks like it would help stabilize the box - this is missing on the right and the bolt holes on the engine casting are missing/broke off.  I can't seem to find the tin - who sells it as I might can figure out a way to attach to engine.  Would this help?

2.  Any other suggestions for holding the heater box tight.  Looks like it is wallered out on the front exhaust pipe a little bit and this is where the noise comes from.  Would JB weld hold it or something along those lines or is there too much heat here?

Thanks for input.

Quote 0 0
kafertoys
Not only would it help stop the rattle noise the heater box makes but is very importain for cooling your engine properly. If your running a stock muffler setup you should have a wide clamp holding it to the front heat exchanger.

Mid America carries these parts. You need that lower tin
saving as many as I can
Quote 0 0
b15605
So, let me get this straight - there is supposed to be clamp on the front end of the heater box that clamps it to the exhaust pipe on the front of the heater box???  If so, I don't have this.

Thanks

Quote 0 0
kafertoys
The camps are 3mm wide and is a big part of the heating system.  It will help stop the rattle along with the bottom tins.

even if you go up in engine displacement the closer to stock complete tin and all other original components, the more reliable it will make the engine.
saving as many as I can
Quote 0 0
olspeed
The clamps that hold the exhaust to the heater box are at the back of the engine. For stock it consists of a washer and round gasket that slides over the pipe where it comes out of the heater box. The exhaust pipe will be flared and the washer will be beveled. A two piece clamp will go over both the washer and the flared exhaust and two bolts will tighten down to hold things together and seal things. As for your rattle, not having the tin work in place allows the tin covering around the heat exchanger to break loose from the pipe and start to rattle. As time goes by they shake more and get looser thus the noise. As far as your questions on #1 that will be the only way to remedy the problem. As far as the missing tin, try someone that sells used VW parts  or look in a few catalogs (Mid America,etc) as some list chromed replacements. On question #2 J B weld and stuff of this sort will not work and will vibrate off just as soon as you start the car. I have patched old heater boxes by tapping the metal back in around the exhaust tube and welding it back to the exhaust tube with low heat on a MIG welder, as you don't want to burn through. If you know how to braise that will work also but will take longer(but slim chance of burn through)
Olspeed
66 Ghia, "Dexter" 76 flat window Beetle
It's not a Car it's a VolksWagon!
Quote 0 0