ELON1974
Have you guys encountered any leakage problems with these things? I bought a clearview filter and i can't seem to get it to stop leaking. First off, the ends were not labeled correctly and i ended up putting it on upside down ... major leakage. I swapped it out and put it in the right way and, still, even after tightening both plastic nipples at the end (they just screw in) i'm still getting a leak from the bottom of my filter.

Similar problems?

I'm taking my bug to get the fuel tank replaced today, so i'll ask them too.
1974 SB - Lloyd
Quote 0 0
fatalifeaten
I've got a glass filter, but the ends are metal. There should be a rubber o-ring in both ends. If they're there, you might see if they're good, and if they're not, there's your problem...
Daily Driven Dubz Phoenix AZ Family

'66 Deluxe
'63 Deluxe ragtop
'61 Deluxe
Quote 0 0
kafertoys
make sure if you do use a glass filter to have it mounted so it can't move.

The problem with the glass filters in the engine compartment, is that they get bounced around and break. I have replaced many cracked ones.

the best place for a fuel filter is under the gas tank

NEVER put them in line from the fuel pump to the carburetor
saving as many as I can
Quote 0 0
68autobug

kafertoys wrote:
The problem with the glass filters in the engine compartment, is that they get bounced around and break. I have replaced many cracked ones.

***NEVER put them in line from the fuel pump to the carburetor***

Good information..

My Son has been using a glass fuel filter for many years without any leakage problems..

I prefer the plastic ones so I can throw it away every 12 months..  lol

***loose fuel filters have resulted in Many VWs being burnt out...

Lee

68AutoBug - helping keep air cooled Volkswagens alive in Australia & around the World -

http://community.webshots.com/user/vw68autobug
-
Quote 0 0
staticattic
Quote:

NEVER put them in line from the fuel pump to the carburetor

Do you mean the glass ones or any type of fuel filter? I have 4 plastic ones in my system. One right under the fuel tank, one right before the fuel pump, and one in front of each carb. I have not had any problems. Why do you say not to use them in line from the pump to the carb?
Jeff
72 Super Beetle
Quote 0 0
fatalifeaten
2 reasons.

1. If you have a filter failure due to heating, age, potted philodendron, etc, you immediately begin spraying hot gas onto your engine, and a spark will turn you into a fireball. The majority of engine fires in dubs start this way.

2. The extra weight of a fuel filter between the pump and the carb can cause the brass fitting for the fuel inlet to pull free from the carb, again inciting a car-b-q.  It'a unfortunate, but this is more common than you may think, especially with the cheaper import carbs from the lower end suppliers. Quality control is almost nonexistant in the country of origin.

For the first time ever, I'll be mounting my filter by the transmission when my motor goes back in the car. Before it was mounted to the shroud but I've finally gotten off my lazy butt and moved it.

For what it's worth, 4 filters is super overkill. Is your fuel system that clogged? One filter under the tank should do the job, if one isn't enough and you're fouling it pretty frequently, it's time to start saving up for a new tank and clean out that hardline.

'66 Deluxe
'63 Deluxe ragtop
'61 Deluxe
Quote 0 0
staticattic
So basically, you are telling me I am setting myself up for failure. Guess who put that wonderful idea in my head? My local Air Cooled VW shop. When I was having so much problems with my carb idle jets getting clogged up, not only did I buy a new pump, but they also suggested fuel filters on the backside of the pump to block any debris generated by the pump itself. I have never really had a good gut feeling about them being there, but they are supposedly the ones that know best, so I took them for their word. What originally bothered me about them, they are always full. The one in front of the pump is usually almost empty when the engine isn't running. The ones in front of the carbs stay full all of the time.  

Incidentally, the filter under the tank is such a pain in the butt to get to or change, I added one to the input side of the pump. Much easier to change or inspect. I have run that set up just about as long as I have been driving the car. It wasn't until recently that the other 2 were added. I'll get some new fuel hose and remove the filters in front of the carbs this weekend.
Jeff
72 Super Beetle
Quote 0 0
MY72BUG
Thanks fatal.  You sold me.  Tonight I removed my fuel pump to carb filtre which was suspended in space wobbling and flopping around in pre-fire mode.  I ran new steel line under the car because I didn't like the idea of the fuel line down in the tunnel. I will cut into that line in a safe location and return the filtre there. 
Quote 0 0
fatalifeaten
Just to drive the point home about not letting your fuel filter live in the engine compartment...

http://dailydrivendubz.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=68658#68658

Flash, that's sixxball's thing.

'66 Deluxe
'63 Deluxe ragtop
'61 Deluxe
Quote 0 0