beetleseventy3

I have a 73 SB and am wondering if the dash has to be removed to take the speedometer out. If the dash has to come out how would I go about doing this?

thanks

1973 Volkswagen Super Beetle
(just about done!)
Quote 0 0
flash

The whole speedometer, odometer etc...just pulls out the front of the dash.  There's a trick to grippin'  it and wigglin the whole glass covered unit out.  I admit I've never done it, but I've seen my VW mechanic do it. Then you can get to all the bulbs and wires.

Loren R. Knapp
In The Hot Sonoran Desert of Arizona - 73 Super Beetle "The Blues."
Quote 0 0
My73Vert

I recently replaced my generator light bulb on my '73 vert and I think I can help. Here's how it goes:

The speedometer is held in place with a plastic ring with some sort of tread to hold it in place by friction. Removing the speedometer is much easier if you take off the steering wheel.

Just pry off the plastic cover where the horn is. It should pop off with just a little pulling pressure. Disconnect the horn grounding wire. Use a socket wrench with an extension to remove the nut. Take off the washer and pull the steering wheel straight out, but remember to make alligning marks with a pencil on the steering wheel and the steering column so that you can put the steering wheel back on in the same position it came off.

With a screwdriver, gently start prying the speedometer out at the bottom and work your way to the sides. All you need is enough room to get your fingertips in to wiggle it out of the hole. Be careful not to ground any of the wires on the metal frame behind the dash pad. I did that and blew a fuse, which I easily replaced when I was done.  Pull out the little socket that houses the generator bulb and replace the bulb. Put the little socket back in and reverse the disassembly process I just described.

There, your're done!

So much bug, so little time
Quote 0 0