I have a "74" Super Beetle.  It was a project car at the local tech school so there have been plenty of creative solutions used on this car.  It is in fair shape.  One of the bigger problems is it smell of gas.  The mechanic who worked on it ( and I think he knows what he's talking about, he used to work for VW in Denver) said I am missing the carbon canister to capture the vapors that come off the gas tank which was replaced by the students.  Any suggestions on where I can obtain one or what I can do to eliminate the gas smell.

Is there a trick on replacing the seat bushings on the front seats.  I ordered some replacements since the seats were pretty shaky but I am having difficulty putting the seats back in.

Thanks for the help.

Quote 0 0
flash

Gas smell...common problem with Super Beetles and Standard bugs. Use the forum search feature.  There's a zillion mentions and suggestions.  Just read through them and good luck.

Loren

Loren R. Knapp
In The Hot Sonoran Desert of Arizona - 73 Super Beetle "The Blues."
Quote 0 0
aircooled299
The seats just require patience, I had the same problem with my '74 recently. Make sure that nothing is bent on the part of the seat that goes into the track. One of mine was and I had to pop the little plastic bushing off and massage the metal a little, then it went in much easier.
-Patrick

Quote 0 0
NYer_in_MI

Yeah.  All very standard stuff.  Actually, I've found that replacing the filler neck on my gas tank with a new assembly greatly decreased the gasoline smell.  My charcoal filter is corroded beyond use and I hardly have gas fumes any more.

The seat thing is just patience and perseverence.  This car doesn't have a bushing prob with its seats, but I did have another Super once that did.  Just take your time.

Daniel Mosher
Resident Cartoonist

www.allaircooled.com
www.superbeetles.com
Quote 0 0
aircooled299
LOL, I once managed to install a seat merely by screaming obceneties, much to the chagrin of my wife and neighbors. sometimes that's just the right kind of oil and I'm very talented at it.
-Patrick

Quote 0 0
NYer_in_MI

Note the 'toon that I did involving a guy doing some major pleading with his car to cooperate while he tries to repair it.  This was directly derived from my own experience in changing my own inner / outer bearings on my right-front wheel.  I pleaded, I begged, I cursed in two-or-three languages (I could, admittedly, make sailors from no fewer than five countries blush, if I wanted to)... finally the old bearings came off so that I could install the new ones.  The new ones went on in a few minutes.  What took forever was prying off the old ones... about an hour-and-a-half, maybe two hours to do it.  I'm sure the neighbors got an ear full, for sure.  Beyond the cursing, I found myself bribing the car:

"Mmmmm... look!  New parts!  You like new parts!  Okay, they're from Mexico, not Germany, but we can't have paradise every day of the week, can we?"

Daniel Mosher
Resident Cartoonist

www.allaircooled.com
www.superbeetles.com
Quote 0 0
aircooled299
Thanks for that little bit Daniel, you made me laugh out loud.
-Patrick

Quote 0 0