Drifty
Hi guys...seems everyone wants to get more horses out of their bugs..I haven't seen any posts regarding getting more mpg..does anyone know of any engine mods that will increase gas mileage without sacrificing performance?...it seems to me that a 1900 lb car with a 1.6 liter motor can be tweaked to get alot better than 30 (give or take) mpg...any ideas?
Never teach a pig to sing. It cann't be done and it irritates the pig.
Quote 0 0
flash

Drifty wrote:
Hi guys...seems everyone wants to get more horses out of their bugs..I haven't seen any posts regarding getting more mpg..does anyone know of any engine mods that will increase gas mileage without sacrificing performance?...it seems to me that a 1900 lb car with a 1.6 liter motor can be tweaked to get alot better than 30 (give or take) mpg...any ideas?

I don't know of any mechanical tricks, but...the common sense stuff.  Tires inflated to the max.  Slow down...shift more often...don't race up on stop lights....don't sit idling at fast food windows etc.  Unload any and all extra curricular weght in trunk and behind seat. And.... for me...if I would lose 50 pounds I could pass a few more gas stations!
Loren R. Knapp
In The Hot Sonoran Desert of Arizona - 73 Super Beetle "The Blues."
Quote 0 0
kafertoys
With kadrons on my beetle I get 34mpg if i drive normal, I also have an electronic ignition that I'm sure helps.

If you haven't had your wheel bearings repacked or replaced it would help. that also goes along with tranny oil.

Clean air cleaner

and wash and a good wax to cut resistance

hope this helps
saving as many as I can
Quote 0 0
Drifty
the dual Kadrons sounds promising..electronic ignition is certainly a winner...however, I was looking for some ideas a little more creative...head work, cam changes, perhaps better induction, optimal compression.. etc....do we have any engineers aboard?...or...anyone with novel ideas that they have proven to work?....( I got off on this tangent due to frustration with the US auto industry...I'm particularly ticked at Ford..they have a world car that has been in production since about 1996..they won't import it..the Ka..cute as a "bug"...avg 38 mpg [US gals]..I'd like to to see some ancient German engineering kick some dirt in their face)...
Quote 0 0
fatalifeaten
Hot VW's has had an ongoing mileage motor series for the better part of the last year. I believe their best reported mileage was 38.5mpg running dual carbs on a mildly built street motor. You might see if you can find the articles online.

34 with Kadron's is actually pretty darn good. I've seen bone stock engines that don't get that. It's been said over and over again that a stock vw engine underperforms though, so take it with a grain of salt. I'm pretty sure I am not getting 34 with my kadrons on my 1641.

Daily Driven Dubz Phoenix AZ Family

'66 Deluxe
'63 Deluxe ragtop
'61 Deluxe
Quote 0 0
olspeed
By rejetting the stock carb, elect ignition, some head work and a few other changes I am getting a little over 35 mpg on my 1904 CC. It's in a 66 Ghia
Olspeed 
66 Ghia, "Dexter" 76 flat window Beetle
It's not a Car it's a VolksWagon!
Quote 0 0
staticattic

I thought about using sails on mine...

Jeff
72 Super Beetle
Quote 0 0
Drifty
OK Olspeed...sounds good...now you say you rejetted stock carb..what a PICT34?..which size jets?..stock cam?..head work?...which heads and what did you have done?...stock valve train?.stock flywheel?....come on..cough up your trix...
Quote 0 0
Drifty
hey Olspeed...I found your post about your motor...good stuff....about the water vapor injection thing..50 years ago Grandad had a glass water bottle hanging under the hood by the exhaust manifold of his '51 Pontiac with a tube that ran to the aircleaner...this idea has been around for a long, long time...I was 7 yrs old at the time,so, that's about all I remember....Grandpa was a crackerjack mech...
Quote 0 0
68autobug

Drifty wrote:
.( I got off on this tangent due to frustration with the US auto industry...I'm particularly ticked at Ford..they have a world car that has been in production since about 1996..they won't import it..the Ka..cute as a "bug"...avg 38 mpg [US gals]..I'd like to to see some ancient German engineering kick some dirt in their face)...

The Ford [Korean built using a very old designed engine] KA
was sold in Australia... Not a lot were sold..  very rare to see one on the road.. although the ones i have seen, have the black plastic bumpers/fenders painted the same color of the car [KA]..
Motoring writers didn't like them as they had a very old designed engine..
[which worked fine...] but if its not a brand new designed engine, motoring writers don't like them.. lol

I read where the New Fiat 500 may be sold as the Ford Ka..??

another small New car on the scene is a nissan Micra.. a small 4 door car.
its headlamps might be able to be fitted to an old sloping headlamp beetle?
last time it was here, it made in the UK.. Now its made in japan..

Back to Volkswagens...  lol

Lee

68AutoBug - helping keep air cooled Volkswagens alive in Australia & around the World -

http://community.webshots.com/user/vw68autobug
-
Quote 0 0
68autobug
Back in the 50s and early 60s in europe there were some cars that had a free wheel device when going down a hill etc..

I think SAABs had them..  the old two stroke SAABs..

It would have been called "angel gear" over here..   lol

same as driving down a hill in Neutral...   YIKES...

I don't know whether they had any large flywheels etc..  ??

Lee

[now back to VWs...  lol]

68AutoBug - helping keep air cooled Volkswagens alive in Australia & around the World -

http://community.webshots.com/user/vw68autobug
-
Quote 0 0
olspeed
Quote;Back in the 50s and early 60s in europe there were some cars that had a free wheel device when going down a hill etc..

I think SAABs had them..  the old two stroke SAABs..

It would have been called "angel gear" over here..   lol

same as driving down a hill in Neutral...   YIKES...

Whoa Man, while we only have two ways to get out of town up here,one north and one south. Even with the hills we do have I think that YIKES would be an understatement, probably would be more like OMG!!!  Hope the brakes work!
Olspeed
66 Ghia, "Dexter" 76 flat window Beetle
It's not a Car it's a VolksWagon!
Quote 0 0