Hi: I have a '78 Super convertible. From owning several Beetles in the past, I know that they at times get a gas smell in the cabin. However, this one gets it sporadically and it can last days at a time. I have replaced the gas cap with a OEM Beetle cap, I have looked for gas leaks and have found none, and have generally done what I can think of to find the problem, but to no avail. The smell is so strong at times that it smells like someone poured raw gas into the cabin. When I open the windows to let fresh air in, the air (even at freeway speeds) smells like gas. The smell is coming from the front and not the rear of the car. Any ideas? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Would the fact that this is a factory A/C car have anything to do with it (additional lines to check or anything - something I doubt but I'm out of answers)? Thanks!
Quote 0 0
nak45z

it might be your tank.  maybe when the tank is to full.

Quote 0 0
It does it when the gas level is full, near empty, or somewhere in between. It really doesn't matter on the level, but thanks for your input.
Quote 0 0
flash
If you use the search obtion on this site and key in "gas smell" you'll find this topic has been covered many times.  My 73 SB does the same...especially when crankin' a hard turn and with a full tank.  My VW guy has replaced the tank lines and I tried a vented gas cap all to no avail. The next thing is to pull the gas tank and check it out.  This is a BIG job in a 73 SB with AC.
My wife hates to ride in the bug when the smell is bad.

Loren
Loren R. Knapp
In The Hot Sonoran Desert of Arizona - 73 Super Beetle "The Blues."
Quote 0 0
nak45z
i put in the gas tank yesterday,  i did not like the how the nozzle fit.  i hope i don't have any gas linking while i fill the car up....

mike
Quote 0 0
71SuperBee
Hey there legal fish, Check out under the cowl, which is right behind the radio and all and see if there is a canister there that has lines running from it. if the lines aren't there and there is lines running from the gas tank to this then you will want to take them off and cap on vent off and run the other line down to the out side some where. Rolling the windows down will not help unless you vent it out the bottom or even the front just some where for the fumes to go. Check that out and see what happens. I had the same problem..

aaron
71 Super Beetle AKA:"THE BUG!!"
Quote 0 0