flash
I purchased, new in the box, a German made Filler Neck Opening Trim Piece. It's a chrome anodized decorative fitting for the filler neck opening. I have not drilled the holes and screwed it in place yet. When I hold it in place and close the gas door it doesn't close correctly. If I could some how move the door slightly towards the front of the car it would work. Does anybody know if there is a way to do so? I see two small nuts that hold it in place, but I don't think they have any give either way. And that's not the direction it needs to move. It almost looks like the door itself would move on the hinge some how. Frustrating to say the least...

Loren
Loren R. Knapp
In The Hot Sonoran Desert of Arizona - 73 Super Beetle "The Blues."
Quote 0 0
mikeyD
hard to say, sight unseen, why don't ya post some pics?
Quote 0 0
flash
I could post some pictures and may do so tomorrow, but wouldn't they all be the same? Super Beetles gas doors.
Loren
Loren R. Knapp
Quote 0 0
Wayne
If you need some adjustment you could always drill the holes in the filler door hinge out a bit. But, if it's flush right now it's going to stick out if you move it at all.
Quote 0 0
flash
The door doesn't need to move in or out. It most move toward the front of the car about 1/16th of a inch or more.

Loren
Loren R. Knapp
Quote 0 0
Wayne
Can you remove it and bend the hinge a bit in a vise? Make sure that if you do it doesn't contact the body when it swings open.
Quote 0 0
flash
Never mind...I got it. The answer was to use the old grinder and grind the trim off on the back on left side of the piece. I then filed it smooth and covered the back with electrician's tape. Drilled one hole and snugged the other end up under the body trim. Success!
I've always wanted one of these. The original box is from Volkswagenwerk AG Wolfsburg and it says August 1970. Guess I was lucky to find one and even luckier to get it on. It does cover the finger slot, but that's not a problem as the door opens easily by just catching the lower left hand corner with your finger.
Loren

See photo
Loren R. Knapp
Quote 0 0