CENA

Hello, I recently replaced my fuel tank on my 73' Super and would like to replace my fuel line from the tank.  I replaced the one coming off the tank but not the rest.  Can I use all rubber fuel line, or do I have to use the metal fuel line in between?  Thanks for any info!

Quote 0 0
olspeed
If you can keep that metal line it is going to be the best thing. Rubber has a tendency to rot after awhile so you would be just asking for a leak. Braided hose with teflon would be a good choice(race car setup) but is expensive. If you are worried about light rust in the metal line it can be flushed with muratic acid (remember goggles and gloves)and then flushed out with water to kill the acid then flushed with light oil to keep it fron rusting again. But if it is truly bad enough that you are worried about a rust through and a leak then I would just try replace it with either a new metal tube or the expensive route, wire braded teflon hose.
Olspeed 
66 Ghia, "Dexter" 76 flat window Beetle
It's not a Car it's a VolksWagon!
Quote 0 0
68autobug
what about copper pipe???  lasts forever... never rusts...

or the latest polyurethane pipes used these days everywhere..

LEE

68AutoBug - helping keep air cooled Volkswagens alive in Australia & around the World -

http://community.webshots.com/user/vw68autobug
-
Quote 0 0
olspeed

Copper is kinda soft and wears quickly if there are contact areas, plus while it is true it does not "rust" it does corrode (the green stuff that you see on old copper) and can form leaks that way. As for polyurethane(Lee are you talking about the stuff at home improvement stores?), I have never tried it in automotive applications so I would guess a person would have to test it for resistance to gas or oil and test it for temperature variations. If it will hold up in extreme heat and cold while having gas or oil going through it then should be good to go. 

66 Ghia, "Dexter" 76 flat window Beetle
It's not a Car it's a VolksWagon!
Quote 0 0
blue72super

What about a hard stainless steel line?

Quote 0 0
MY72BUG
You could go all rubber but use the high pressure type for fuel injected applications.  I used this for over 10 years in our lousy climate on a ' 77 Ford.  Unlike the metal line which preceded it, the high pressure rubber never gave me a moments trouble - But - it would likely not be approved for a safety check for crash reasons.  When I did my Beetle ( and yes I am missing it something awful) I did all new steel lines but outside of the utility tunnel where it would get oil sprayed every year and where it would dry off.  Stainless can be harder to work with but if you have the right diameter go for it.  Dan (was MY72BUG) in Goderich
Quote 0 0