GregS
Another newbie question here. For you super beetle folks, what is your opinion of the fuel injection engines that the later super beetles had. A good thing, or something to try to avoid?  I'm wondering if this is something I should take into account if I decide to buy a super beetle.
Quote 0 0
Cobey
I don't own one, but, they run rather well from what I understand.  And, if the bug bites you (no pun intended), you can always switch it to carbs.
[url=http://geeks-at-large.com/ghia](0)(=|=)(0)[/url] 68 Ghia Vert - Gina
[url=http://geeks-at-large.com/edel/](O\U|U/O)[/url] 72 SB Vert Autostick - Edel
Quote 0 0
Wayne

When I was looking for my Beetle I was told "Don't buy a Super Beetle and don't get a fuel-injected one". Well, I bought a fuel-injected Super and I couldn't be happier with it. Starts perfectly and runs like a sewing machine, a sewing machine that goes Fweeeeeemmmmm!

Quote 0 0
GregS
That's exactly why I asked this question - in the past I've come across comments saying that the fuel-injected engines should be avoided or converted to carburated. I wanted to know if there is actually any valid technical or maintenance-related reason for this view, or if it's just some kind of snobbery at work. From my standpoint, if the fuel-injection engines work well, are reliable, and don't require too much maintenance, then that's all I care about.
Quote 0 0
blur

If you know how to work on them or know someone who knows how to work on them, they are perfectly fine.

Road and Track got a dud in '75 and the dealer near them didn't have a clue (according to the article), and they have been suffering in reputation ever since.

Autostick gets a bad rap, too, but that's another rant waiting to happen.

Quote 0 0
Tobra

Ask yourself this question, how many new cars have carbs, how many are injected.  FI is superior to carburetion in pretty much every way, even a primitive L jet system.  Better driveability, economy  and emmissions.  The VW setup is sensitive to vacuum leaks , and the control unit in the back luggage area can get trashed, particularly in a leaky convertible.  Oh and if you convert it, you can't ever register it in california

'79 Super Beetle Convertible, Topline Sport+ springs and disc brake conversion. SS brake lines, KYB GR-2struts and Gas-a-just shocks
Quote 0 0