tswillow

Our 75 Super Beetle has fuel injection. Some parts for the unit are no longer available. I've been thinking, when I can't get parts for it can it be converted to carburator? Anyone ever do this?

Quote 0 0
olspeed
It's  going to depend on the DOT regulations of your state for your Bug to be EPA compliant. Before IM testing was required up here my 76 "fuelie" was converted to a carburetor (stock 74 vintage) so when the testing was started it was grand-fathered in as a carb motor. So as I said it is going to depend on what your local regs are, and if it's OK with your state well then the conversion is easy.
Olspeed
66 Ghia, "Dexter" 76 flat window Beetle
It's not a Car it's a VolksWagon!
Quote 0 0
Wayne

What parts are you looking for? I have some spares at home.

Quote 0 0
tswillow
Not looking for parts right now, it's seems to be running fine. I just installed the engine 2 weeks ago and fired it up this weekend.(It was out for a restoration to the body). I was just asking in general.

Regarding the emmisions, the car is concidered a "collector car" by the state of WI as it's more than  25 years old so it does not have to pass emmissions testing any longer.
Quote 0 0
vegasjunkie
You are lucky that you don't have to take it through emmisions. I have to for mine and when I was there this summer, I asked if I could change the F/I over to carbs. They said it could be done, but I would have to keep the cat installed and change up the computer to be able to pass the test. Not worth the hassle. The only way my 75 S/B would not have to go through emissions in Arizona is to get classic car insurance on it and I can't do that.

Howard

Quote 0 0