pa_trick
In my quest for beetle, I have discovered a 75 Super beetle in reasonable condition for the money $600. I am a little concerned about that monstrosity sitting on top of the engine where the carb should be.

Fuel injection is norm today and for very good reasons, but that was the first for the VW bug world. Does anyone have any thoughts on this. This is a picture of the car.
Patrick
------------(0\ /0)-------------
74 Super Sun Bug (the partner's)
71 Super Cal Looker (mine)
the "Shade tree mech" for both...
Quote 0 0
olspeed
From the picture it looks a bit ruff,but if it works a little bit of elbow grease and some degreaser and you should be OK. But there are a couple of things to consider here, State and local smog laws. Are you going to keep it stock or bump it up a little. VW fuel Injection never liked performance add-ons (exhaust,cam,heads and displacement upgrades). As I said if everything works and you want to leave it that way and make it a daily driver, you will have a car that gets good mileage and passes all your smog laws quite easily.(had a 69 type 3 and it was the best for mileage of any stock VW I have owned). They can be expensive to fix though when things go wrong,and hard to find parts for. Also if you are going to change out the induction system anyway(dual carbs, turbo,etc...) then who cares,just make sure the body is in good shape look in places like the floor pans and heat channels by the door posts, etc. Rust in these places can be expensive to fix.
Olspeed
66 Ghia, "Dexter" 76 flat window Beetle
It's not a Car it's a VolksWagon!
Quote 0 0
fatalifeaten
CB makes a nice aftermarket performance FI kit now. 48mm throttle bodies. It's all about your emissions laws.  You can always convert it to carb too. Save the FI parts in case someone wants them for a total stock resto, get it to smog, and enjoy the heck out of it with less hassle.

600 for a super's not bad if the body isn't swiss cheese.

Daily Driven Dubz Phoenix AZ Family

'66 Deluxe
'63 Deluxe ragtop
'61 Deluxe
Quote 0 0
pa_trick
My primary purpose in buy this bug is to have a car that I can afford to drive to work and enjoy driving. I normally try to keep my restoration projects as stock as possible since this normally keeps the repair and maintenance costs down.

Is your comment about the Smog/emissions because the FI is bad for emissions? Luckily I live in an area that does not require emissions testing, but I am not real happy about having a big pollution machine either.

How is the stock FI systems for repairs, parts, and reliability?

Patrick
------------(0\ /0)-------------
74 Super Sun Bug (the partner's)
71 Super Cal Looker (mine)
the "Shade tree mech" for both...
Quote 0 0
fatalifeaten
pa_trick wrote:
My primary purpose in buy this bug is to have a car that I can afford to drive to work and enjoy driving. I normally try to keep my restoration projects as stock as possible since this normally keeps the repair and maintenance costs down.

Is your comment about the Smog/emissions because the FI is bad for emissions? Luckily I live in an area that does not require emissions testing, but I am not real happy about having a big pollution machine either.

How is the stock FI systems for repairs, parts, and reliability?

Nah, FI's  no worse than normally aspirated far as I know. It was purely for the emissions part. If you live where there's no requirement for compliance, the sky's the limit.

FI parts are certainly out there. I'm not sure about the availability or quality of the aftermarket parts, most of them would probably be coming from Mexico and Brazil since  domestic VW deliveries stopped more or less when FI was becoming the norm.

IMO, converting it to carb would be less expensive and make it more enjoyable to drive, the FI junk and all the other regulatory stuff in a late model engine is a drag. You can still expect to see mileage in the 30's with a stock carb, and your options open  up a bit on things like exhausts and the choice in carbs and ignition if you convert it. There's also less to fiddle with in routine maintenance.

It's completely up to you, and if you're comfortable tackling the fuel inj. , then absolutely keep it if it's not cost or availability prohibitive.
Daily Driven Dubz Phoenix AZ Family

'66 Deluxe
'63 Deluxe ragtop
'61 Deluxe
Quote 0 0