hurley209

my fuel gauge fuse keeps burning out, and it is annoying to have to go thru fuses so quik. any ideas of what could be causing the problem? what should i do?... thanks guys, (and girls) you rock!

Quote 0 0
staticattic

I believe the fuel gage, turn signals, and Alt light ride the same fuse. I know there is something else on the fuse besides just the gage. Anyway, I had that same problem and it turned out that the metal bracket that was used to hold the fuel expansion piece, the plastic pipe thing that ran parallel with the windshield, had fallen over and was touching the speedo housing. The speedo housing is the ground for those devices. Once I fixed the short,(removed the metal bracket) everything ran fine.

Jeff
72 Super Beetle
Quote 0 0
hurley209

where exactly is it at? is it hard to remove? im a new beetle owner.. i just got my 73 last monday

Quote 0 0
staticattic

I have a 72 Super and that bracket was just to the right of the fresh air box. Easiest thing to do is check out the back of your speedo and make sure nothing metal is touching it. The entire speedo is grounded to the car. And now that I think about it, that bracket was touching the speedo, the back of one of the speedo lights, and the frame of the car. If that is your case, you should be able to easily see it. If it is not something that obvious, check your grounds. Make sure nothing is shorted.

Jeff
72 Super Beetle
Quote 0 0
hurley209

ok, sweet.. il chek it out,... thanks a bunch for the help!

Quote 0 0