Chanbob
I am sure it has been answered before, I did a search and nothing came up.

Would I be able to swap the front suspension of my 74 super with a 72? What is the difference? Would anything change?

I have been reading that 74's can't go as low as 72's and some 73's. Will this change that?

Quote 0 0
hurley209
you would have to swap out quite a bit of things becouse of the differences, for example, the struts dont attactch the same way, 74 has 2 bolts at the strut, and 72 has 3.
with some part swapping and customizing, anything is possible.
Quote 0 0
Chisel86

You will have to use all of the suspension parts from the early Super Beetle: struts, spindles, control arms, ball joints (obviously), and maybe the tie rods and sway bar as well. You may also have to use your late upper strut bearing on the early strut assy, or it may not fit the hole in the body.

Mod at [url=http://www.superbeetlesonly.com]SuperBeetlesOnly.com[/url]
Quote 0 0
Chanbob
Gothca... Reason I ask is there is a local guy parting out a 72. has everything. Trying to figure out if it is worth doing or not

Quote 0 0
BugMan
hurley209 wrote:
you would have to swap out quite a bit of things becouse of the differences, for example, the struts dont attactch the same way, 74 has 2 bolts at the strut, and 72 has 3.
with some part swapping and customizing, anything is possible.

You sure about the bolts??  You talking about where it attaches to the body, or the spindle??  I've got 2 down low, but 3 up high at the body.
Quote 0 0
Chisel86
He is talking about the strut-to-spindle bolts. There are three bolts that attach the strut to the body but the later suspensions used a different strut bearing and so the center hole is different. If yours is a late model, use the late model upper strut bearing. If yours is an early model, use the early model upper strut bearing.
Strut Assembly
71-73 Upper Strut Bearing:
71-73 Upper Strut Bearing

74-79 Upper Strut Bearing:
74-79 Upper Strut Bearing

Quote 0 0
BugMan
Thanks for the clarification chisel
Quote 0 0
Chanbob
So is it possible to do the swap? Like I said I know a local guy who wants to sell the entire front suspension for $100. Too good of a deal to pass up but if it isn't going to work then it isn't worth it
Quote 0 0
Chisel86
Chanbob wrote:
So is it possible to do the swap? ...

Sure it is. Just replace everything except your strut bearings like I explained.

Quote 0 0
theredbarn

Main thing to ask, before you make the swap, is how low do you want to go? If you're about grinding the surface of the pavement than go with the early setup. If you're just going for a 2-3" drop for performance sake - then stay with your later suspension. You also have the benefit of negative roll radius steering on the later setup.

74 Super, 1776, front and rear suspension improvements with Topline goodies
Mod at Superbeetlesonly.com
Quote 0 0