gartome
Hi Gartome here, I have just stripped front strut off my super and dropped the steering parts at the near side of the car. My plan is to clean the front frame paint it and clean and paint all the rust off steering parts and renew the rubbers and do the front wheel bearings but cant seem to separate the strut from the front wheel hub to do the bearing? hope this makes sense..

Gartome again it is the front steering knuckle not front hub.
Quote 0 0
Wayne
Depending on the year of your Super there is either 3 bolts (71-73) or two bolts (74+) that hold it together. On the earlier models the 3 bolts go down through the bottom of the strut, through the knuckle and into the lower ball joint. On the 74 and up, two bolts go sideways through the strut and knuckle. It looks as though all you have to do is remove them. If they won't come out try penetration fluid or heating them with a torch.
Quote 0 0
gartome
Gartome again my set up is the three bolt one I have taken them out and it is still stuck so will I hit it with a big big big hammer ?
Quote 0 0
Bullyboy
We had big problems when we tried to get ours out too. We had the guys at the vw shop pop it out. the rust had welded the two together.
Mark, Dorinda, and Wilbur
Quote 0 0
gartome
Gartome here again I got the steering knuckle separated from the strut. The both of them were welded together with rust as said. After soaking the joining parts with W D 40 a penetrating oil for about 15 minutes.I maneged to separate them with the force of the bib big hammer.Then I cleaned the knuckle up with a wire brush attached to my drill.I will go ahead and change the rubbers on the steering and suspension and paint the inner wheel arches and the front frame support.then fit new strut and front springs.Once again thank you for your comments.
Quote 0 0