HOGGERDINGER

Any ideas where to mount front speakers in my 72 super?  They are 5".  I ordered the kick panel with the mounts in them, but they were discontinued.  Thanks,

Hoggerdinger

THANKS
Quote 0 0
buggedgp

Hi

Well let's see! In my bug, I removed panel cover that seats on top of the tank. I installed a pair of Kenwood 6x9s!

How so?

If you look at your fuel tank the way it is seating! (Assuming that you are standing infront of your car open, panel removed, fuel tank exposed) Move either next to the left or the right front wheel. Can you see where your boot hinges are? (They normal have springs, unless you installed gas riders) Tie a piece of string between the two hinges! Why? Because you CANNOT cut any higher then that point! The only room/space you have is BELOW the string you just tied and 4 inches above/away from the fuel tank. Here you mark, where you want your speakers to seat, as well as their shape! PLEASE...PLEASE..PLEASE CONSIDER STEERING COLUMN WHEN CUTTING!!!!

CUTTING:

In my bug what I did was, I marked the 6x9 shape, drilled the 4 holes to hold the 6x9s.

I used an angle grinder but using a cutting disc. First I cut a rough shape, and swopped into a grinding disc to smooth out the sharp edges, AND TO PERFECT THE SHAPE.

I fiited my left 6x9, and BOB was my uncle! However it was different story on the driver side(right). Here I rotated the shape of the 6x9 onto it's long side, so that I would not risk damaging my steering column. It worked for me!

PLEASE BEAR IN MIND THAT WHEN YOU CUT, YOU CAN NEVER EVER REPLACE IT, SO:

(1) Make sure it's what you want!

(2) Even more important.....ALWAYS MEASURE AT LEAST 10 TIMES. Ask for people's point of view. What I leant the hard way is that "You MEASURE ten times...but you only Cut once"

I like it where my speakers are seating, because when you are inside the car you cannot see them at all, unless stick your head under the dash board. This helps a lot if you want to build a powerful sound system, and you don't want thiefs to help themselves later.

So enjoy putting together your sound system!

Quote 0 0
Cobey
You can still get the kick panels at a few places.  That would be best.

If not, you can look to the doors for a mount location.
[url=http://geeks-at-large.com/ghia](0)(=|=)(0)[/url] 68 Ghia Vert - Gina
[url=http://geeks-at-large.com/edel/](O\U|U/O)[/url] 72 SB Vert Autostick - Edel
Quote 0 0
flash

Go for the kick panels. It's the best way.  If you have moisture in door panels it can screw things up.  Kick panels are the best way to go.

Loren R. Knapp
In The Hot Sonoran Desert of Arizona - 73 Super Beetle "The Blues."
Quote 0 0
audiobeer
Anybody have a link for the kick panels?
Quote 0 0
tazaRock
http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/Product/tf-Browse/s-10101/Pr-p_Product.CATENTRY_ID:2001227/showCustom-0/p-2001227/N-111+10201+600000587/c-10101

I don't know how good the company is, haven't ordered them. I just have the link.
Quote 0 0
YELLRHD

Jbugs.com has a better panel than whats available at JC Whitney, They are made of fiberglass and hold up very well they run approx $45 a set

Quote 0 0
HOGGERDINGER

Great information. Thanks all!

THANKS
Quote 0 0
Biggone

I got mine from glass-action.com.  I ordered the kick panels and the hidden stereo glove box from them.  I didn't care for the glove box, but the kick panel fit with very little trimming.

Quote 0 0
audiobeer

I ordered the panels from Jbug.com. I'll let you know how it works out. Thanks for the link!

Quote 0 0