LaneLester
I bought a highly modified 72 SB for $800, and it really wasn't a bargain. I've fixed it up some but still have a lot to do.

One thing I don't like is this vent in the front hood (see attachment). It doesn't connect to anything and provides only an excellent way for rain to come in and soak everything in the trunk (boot?).

Other VWs I look at in print or in "person" do not have this vent, but it is not handmade; the hood was made with the vent.

So was there a front hood vent in some model year? And did it actually connect to something?

Lane

Click image for larger version - Name: vent.jpg, Views: 117, Size: 98.57 KB
Quote 0 0
olspeed
That is the air inlet for fresh air into the interior... I even think my 69 had one. There should be a box underneath the hood in that spot that would direct the fresh air into the interior through the vents in the dash. You should have cables running from knobs to that box that would allow you to open and close flaps that allow the air in. Also there should be a drain in the box so rain water will drain under the car and not inside the trunk.
Olspeed 
66 Ghia, "Dexter" 76 flat window Beetle
It's not a Car it's a VolksWagon!
Quote 0 0
LaneLester
Thanks for the reply. No, I don't have a box underneath it, but that's just one of a lot of things a previous owner ripped out of this bug.

The power train has been good from the beginning; it even has a bigger engine and electronic ignition.

I've had to add or get fixed: wipers, headlights, door handles, turn signals...

The photo is after I painted it with a brush and Walmart's best quality outdoor vinyl paint.

Lane

Click image for larger version - Name: VWPaintJob320.jpg, Views: 119, Size: 101.04 KB
Quote 0 0