SuperSlow73
1985? 1991? ohhhhhhh 1970!!!, I'm curretly reading a book about Volkswagen, it goes from 1937 to presently, 1999 or 2000. Anyways I just started 1970 and apparently in 1970 all Beetles, no sure of other VW's, had a large clamp inside the engine near the doghouse. It sopposely was something you could only hook up at the dearler and could print out everything that was replaced and when it was last serviced and when it should be serviced next time around. This blew my mind. I never thought of it after that until now. So apprently are cars can be pretty advanced. Sry just though I'd share something I learned, its a shame you cant hook one up.
1965 VW Beetle, "Thug Bug"
LOOKING FOR A GHIA, IN THE TX AREA
Houston Aircoolers
San Antonio Aircoolers
Quote 0 0
flash
From my 1973 showroom brochure.
"When it comes to check-ups, only VW Computer Diagnosis lets your car keep a check on itself."

If only cars could talk. Ours write. That's right. each VW is now built with a system of probes and sensors that monitor critical areas of the car.

Theses sensors are connected to a special socket, when plugged a computer (soon at your local VW dealer) is plugged into it, your car sends a messages about it's condition.

Vital service points will be checked. And the results are printed up in plain English for you to read.  Chances are you'll like what you read because of the way we make our VW's in the first place.

see photo
Loren R. Knapp
In The Hot Sonoran Desert of Arizona - 73 Super Beetle "The Blues."
Quote 0 0
SuperSlow73

Thats a lot of good information man, I sppreciate your information. Is there anyone with even something that still makes it work just out of curiosity?

1965 VW Beetle, "Thug Bug"
LOOKING FOR A GHIA, IN THE TX AREA
Houston Aircoolers
San Antonio Aircoolers
Quote 0 0
Cobey
I'd like to know anyone that actually has the computer. It would be an aewfully interesting experience getting it read out like that.
[url=http://geeks-at-large.com/ghia](0)(=|=)(0)[/url] 68 Ghia Vert - Gina
[url=http://geeks-at-large.com/edel/](O\U|U/O)[/url] 72 SB Vert Autostick - Edel
Quote 0 0
flash
We took "The Blues" (which was Texas yellow at the time) to the dealer for servicing and I don't recall that they ever had the computer to plug it into.  Could be they never did.

Loren
Loren R. Knapp
In The Hot Sonoran Desert of Arizona - 73 Super Beetle "The Blues."
Quote 0 0
dods1600
So thats what that box is for, wierd.
1600cc biggest most powerful engine for a stock beetle. Power house!:) Smokes the tires in first in the rain
Quote 0 0
NYer_in_MI
I knew that Volkswagens had on-board diagnostic systems, but I didn't realize that they had been implemented as early as 1970.  Fascinating!

As far as my own guess goes, I would imagine that, should any of the diagnostic computers still exist which "read" your Volkswagen's status, they are in the hands of small shops that specialize in old air-coolers or private owners (possibly, but not likely).  I'm sure that, once Beetles and other air-coolers were no longer sold in the U.S., the dealers carrying such equipment became scarcer and scarcer.  It would be cool to know if, when hooked up to an existing diagnostic machine, one's Volkswagen still keeps track of its maintenance information, etc.

Daniel
Daniel Mosher
Resident Cartoonist

www.allaircooled.com
www.superbeetles.com
Quote 0 0
NYer_in_MI
By the way, I want to go on record as saying how amazed that I am at the number of young people who are interested and involved in the love affair that we all enjoy with our cars!  I love it!

Daniel
Daniel Mosher
Resident Cartoonist

www.allaircooled.com
www.superbeetles.com
Quote 0 0