Tobra

I am considering just ordering a new fuel pump so I will have it ready to go.  It is essentially a one owner car, and it has the original still.  About 300,000 miles and coming up on 27 years.  Anyone have an idea of expected lifespan for a fuel pump?  I am thinking I got my moneys worth on this one.  Does it make me paranoid or prudent  to buy one now?  They are $200

'79 Super Beetle Convertible, Topline Sport+ springs and disc brake conversion. SS brake lines, KYB GR-2struts and Gas-a-just shocks
Quote 0 0
Tobra
What would the symptoms be as it goes out, would it begin working sporadically and the car would occasionally stall when idling, and subsequently not start until it had sat for a while(which it is doing now)
'79 Super Beetle Convertible, Topline Sport+ springs and disc brake conversion. SS brake lines, KYB GR-2struts and Gas-a-just shocks
Quote 0 0
Marc
Possibly...although there are quite a few things which could give similar symptoms. How long since the filter's been changed? Usually if the pump's going bad it'll be noisy - perhaps loud enough to hear from inside the car with the engine running. Grab onto it while it's running and feel - if there's just a smooth whirring it's still doing fine, but if it feels like it's trying to pump sand your time is running out.
These are "roller-cell" pumps and they are both cooled and lubricated by the fuel they pump. A used one that's been sitting around open and allowed to dry up may have rust problems and/or sticking rollers, but if you can find one that was properly "mothballed" by filling it with a light oil and capping it off a used one could be worth purchasing. My son converted his `77 to carburetion at 145,000 miles, I'll have to see what he did with his fuel pump.
Quote 0 0