putz

Can someone tell me if the fender beed is painted same as the bug or is it just left black as is. I have never had a bug that wasn't painted before me.

Quote 0 0
ryen74

I have always seen black unless someone painted it when they repainted the car.

Ryen
"Arizona dreamin'"
Quote 0 0
Sleepwalker
Only thing other than Black is the color beading. I don't know about the quality but it is out there. Here is just one example.
http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/Product/tf-VehicleBrowse/s-10101/Pr-p_Product.CATENTRY_ID:2008734/p-2008734/N-111+1974+200004122+600007799/c-10110

Have heard of people getting white beading and dying it to match as well.

Sometimes it gets shot over on a quick and dirty paint job. But the vibrations tend to crack it off, making it look real bad in short order.
"He who knows enough to learn, knows enough"
Quote 0 0
flash

The rule of thumb is never paint over fender beading.  It should be removed along with bumpers, lights door handles etc to do the job right.  If you ever have to replace a fender and the beading is adhered to the body with paint it may splinter and crack the body paint when removed.

Loren R. Knapp
In The Hot Sonoran Desert of Arizona - 73 Super Beetle "The Blues."
Quote 0 0
fatalifeaten
colored beading's available in a few colors. I've actually also seen beading made out of dyed leather, so that it was a better match to the paint. This is an old hot rod technique, but it works on dubs too

Empi has black/white/tan/grey, and I've seen red at v dub parts unlimited, but the good stuff's black, and comes from wolfsburg west.

Daily Driven Dubz Phoenix AZ Family

'66 Deluxe
'63 Deluxe ragtop
'61 Deluxe
Quote 0 0
ryen74

That is an interesting idea. It would not dry out as fast either.

Ryen
"Arizona dreamin'"
Quote 0 0
putz

Thanks everyone. I will leave the beading black. I'm replacing fenders and beading and didn't know what was the right way. This forum has helped me a lot and always get good advise. The pic is how the old girl,Elsie, looked when I picked her up last fall. Have got many new body parts going on. Hope to have up dated ones soon. A lot of hours but worth every minute.

Quote 0 0
68autobug

the black beading is usually shiney...

but i have seen dull beading which I'm guessing is ready to paint...

there are also different size beadings...

the rounded bit can be different sizes - large or smaller..

I can only ever remember seeing two colors back in the 50s 60s etc..

Black and White...

Lee
68AutoBug - helping keep air cooled Volkswagens alive in Australia & around the World -

http://community.webshots.com/user/vw68autobug
-
Quote 0 0
BTbug

Hi guys,
I know I'm replying kind of late but I'm new and wanted to give my two cents. 

I just recently purchased a 71 Super Convertible.  It is painted gloss black with a red and black interior.  The fender beading is also red which, in my opinion, really pops.  You can kind of see it in my avatar.

If you want that extra something and not going all original, try a beading that will compliment your color scheme.  JC Whitney has a lot of different colors including chrome.

71 Super Vert - Livin' and lovin' life in sunny Arizona.
Quote 0 0
68autobug

I have seen different colored beading on cars

along with the Painted too thick beading which looks terrible..

I've only seen the black stuff in Australia..
or non shiney black...

I'm wondering how chromed beading would look on MY car..
it would be different in Australia...

Not to costly, do it yourself...

Lee

68AutoBug - helping keep air cooled Volkswagens alive in Australia & around the World -

http://community.webshots.com/user/vw68autobug
-
Quote 0 0
Chisel86

I had JCwhitney blue beading on my car for a few years, but replaced it with better quality blue ones from Wolfsburg West. They have black, white, beige, turquoise, blue, and red, but not all in stock at the moment. My interior is blue so I wanted it to match. Looks really good. It's a subtle custom touch that makes your ride stand out amongst the clones.

VWParts.net currently has white, red, and blue in stock.

I have seen chrome beading in the past, but can't find any now.

Mod at [url=http://www.superbeetlesonly.com]SuperBeetlesOnly.com[/url]
Quote 0 0