kycabledog

Hey guys another question??

Does the top of the fender beading go between the fenders and the body or is it raised?

I guess what I am trying to ask is, are you supposed to feel it or is it supposed to be smooth from body to fender?

Here are a couple of pics. Tell me which one is right?

Quote 0 0
dods1600

It should be raised so that the round part of the beading is exposed and the flat piece is sandwiched in the gap

1600cc biggest most powerful engine for a stock beetle. Power house!:) Smokes the tires in first in the rain
Quote 0 0
flash

I'm sure you know that you have to loosen all the fender bolts and give yourself enough room to work.  You should snug each bolt up a little at a time not cranking one tight at a time.  You might end up with an uneven roller coaster look to the beading.

Loren R. Knapp
In The Hot Sonoran Desert of Arizona - 73 Super Beetle "The Blues."
Quote 0 0
NoH2O

Looking good man!

The raised part does indeed stay above the top of the fender. You'll probably also find that the notches in the beading won't line up with the bolts. I had to do a little "fabricating" on mine.

How close are you to being done? There is a show in Louisville on the 30th of this month? Classic Volkswagen Club of Louisville puts it on. Free to show, swap and to get in. Can't beat that. I'm hoping to have mine done enough to make it. I'll at least be there selling parts. Maybe I'll see ya?

Steve

'63 Ragtop
'56 Ragtop
'78 Riviera camper

"..at least I'm enjoyin' the ride"
Quote 0 0
MLTigger

The question is... When are you going to quit your job and open a VW restoration shop?  You are doing an awesome job

Quote 0 0
kycabledog

Other then finishing the interior and the light wiring, she is almost done. I did put the drivers seat in and took it around the block...man that was cool....

I still need to pant the replacement fender for the drivers side, put on the deck lid and trunk lid, mount the bumpers...and I'm done.

I went with standard height and 195X15's for the front and 205X15 for the rear.. it looks sweet and handles awesome. Still have to get the front aligned but handles awesome so far.

Don't know if I'll make Louisville, but was planning on the one in Cincinnati.

Larry

Quote 0 0
MLTigger

Date, Location, Time for Cincinatti please?  I might be able to make that show!!!  It isn't too far from me.

Quote 0 0
NoH2O

The show is next weekend the 24th. http://cincyvwclub.com.previewyoursites.com/7.html

I'll be there with my '63. That's the plan anyway. There will be a get together at MetalKraft Coachwerks on Saturday to kick off the weekend. My buddy Mark runs the shop and always has some cool stuff to show off. From there we will be headed up to the show grounds to camp and set up for Sunday. Hope to meet both of you.

Primer red '63 ragtop with stock smoothies and roof rack. If you see it and a long haired fellow, that'd be me. Come say hey!

Steve

'63 Ragtop
'56 Ragtop
'78 Riviera camper

"..at least I'm enjoyin' the ride"
Quote 0 0
MLTigger

As much as I would love to be there, I work weekends and that is not enough notice for me to take off.  Maybe next year!!!!

Quote 0 0
68autobug

My fender beading came with bolt holes and matched OK...

My beading is also shiney and the bead itself about 6mm approx round..

My Son bought the beading in a roll...

no cutouts... round bead about 2 mm larger than mine..

and not as shiney... I think it could also be longer, so it goes down past the fender lip...  thats good in My books...

I don't think the size of the round bead is important....

I have also seen some dull beading.. which i presume is made for painting...??

I would rather use a beading and do the cutouts My self....

I found doing the beading was a pain... maybe just me..

other vw owners have said it was easy...

I didn't think it was...

I thought it was perfect until I did up all the bolts...

then undo all the bolts... Yikes..

I don't like that job..

Lee -- 68AutoBug -- AUstralia --

http://community.webshots.com/user/vw68autobug

68AutoBug - helping keep air cooled Volkswagens alive in Australia & around the World -

http://community.webshots.com/user/vw68autobug
-
Quote 0 0
ljohn

Is the beading to be painted or left black.......?

LJohn
Quote 0 0
bluebug

left black.

Clark

Clark Verbockel
Quote 0 0
NYer_in_MI

The beading can be one way that you know a Bug has been redone.  If some one tells you it's the "original paint" and the beading's been painted over, they are LYING!

Dan

Daniel Mosher
Resident Cartoonist

www.allaircooled.com
www.superbeetles.com
Quote 0 0