These say it all. Loren
Loren R. Knapp
In The Hot Sonoran Desert of Arizona - 73 Super Beetle "The Blues."
Quote 0 0
Wayne

Man...Those are W-I-L-D!!!

Quote 0 0
s0cks

You say those are Ed "Big Daddy" Roth's doings? Sadly, he died a few years ago, but he is by far the coolest car artist to ever have lived. He pretty much invented the rat rod, and he is a legend. I recommend those that have never heard of him (and I am a 15 year old, so he is pretty famous in car rings), to go out, look him up on the internet, and admire some of his art.

73 Super Beetle
Quote 0 0
nipper552003

I grew up cutting my teeth on the Big Daddy's art...  a little too young to have a hot rod, but could dream nontheless.  (that was about the same time I listened to Wolfman Jack when he was a DJ broadcasting out of LA, and I was a surf gremmie in southern California!!)  For awhile I remember collecting Revell models of Ed Roth's creations, and as I recall he had a series of plastic creations (can't remember their exact names).  One, (Chief Something-or-Other) graced the dash of my first VW bus....  oh the memories....

John Scribner

Quote 0 0
NYer_in_MI

Very coooooool!  Big Daddy has always been one of my inspirations for doing VW art.  Well, him... mixed with a dash of Charles Schulz and a smattering of Berkley Breathed ("Bloom County").  I've been drawing and scribbling VW's ever since I was a kid.  Who knew anyone else would want to look at my drawings?  LOL

I too was too young to own a Rat Rod, but I remember my cousin had a cooooool Baja that I got to ride around in.  Man, was that thing TRICKED OUT!  That, too, was one of the Bugs that had really stolen my heart, as a kid, and made me fall in love with these little cars!

I was sad beyond words to discover that Big Daddy had passed on.  He was sort of the Jerry Garcia of Bug cartoons and of art work in general.  I miss him.

Daniel

Daniel Mosher
Resident Cartoonist

www.allaircooled.com
www.superbeetles.com
Quote 0 0
s0cks
It is really good to know that so many people admired his art. I met him at age 5, and he has since become one of my favorite artists. He ties with the dude from Calvin and Hobbes for place numero uno.
73 Super Beetle
Quote 0 0