plategeek
I'm a newbie, and this is my first post.

I'm trying to get my 1971 Super safetied, and the report says that the "exhaust leak at left manifold to engine" must be fixed.

I've been trying to find out how the exhaust system attaches to the engine, since maybe I have a bad gasket somewhere. My online searches have been fruitless... all the exhaust articles talk about heater boxes, and all the manifold articles refer to the inlet manifold.

I have a Haynes manual that doesn't specify enough info that I can recognize, and my other manuals (Muir and Bentley) haven't arrived yet... told you I was new.

Can someone either describe or show me a picture of the suspect area? Am I close in hoping it's just a simple gasket?

Cheers,

Jon
Quote 0 0
desiree71SB

Welcome to the forum, Jon. There are some sharp cookies that wander around here so someone is sure to have some info for you.

Desiree
http://www.myspace.com/sonnyreign
http://desiree1914.wordpress.com/
Quote 0 0
fatalifeaten
It could mean a few things. I'm going to presume left side means driver side, so crawl under there and look at the attachment point where your muffler box connects to your heater box. there should be a clamp there that looks like 2 u-shaped channels bolted together with a pair of bolts. Make sure it's nice and tight over the flange and that there's no sooty buildup there (which would indicate an exhaust leak).

Next, move forward and follow teh heater box up to where it bolts to the front exhaust port of the 3/4 head (front means front of car). make sure the 2 bolts there are tight. Do the same for the rear exhaust port. Then check the heat riser. That's the pipe coming off the exhaust that goes up the the intake manifold and is held in place with 2 bolts on either side of the engine.

If none of these things look like they're out of place, take it back and ask the tech who sniffed it what he was talking about. He should be able to show you the problem and you will know what to fix.

Good luck and let us know if that helps.

Daily Driven Dubz Phoenix AZ Family

'66 Deluxe
'63 Deluxe ragtop
'61 Deluxe
Quote 0 0