Karl53
ok, so i finished my engine rebuild, had it running, and now it won't start.  it turns over, has spark, fuel, and still won't run.  i've checked the timing, and it's perfect.  i'm starting to get frustrated with it and need some help. any suggestions will be helpful.
(o\ | /o) 2 1972 Superbeetle
1971 Superbeelte
1970 Standard beetle
1974 Westfalia
Quote 0 0
bumblebee73

i would start by #1 at TDC , and pulling the cap off and make sure that it is pointing at #1 as well, if ok  then i would recheck your valve adjustment, just to make sure they are opening and closing properly. also is it fresh gas or has it been sitting for a while? points ign. or electronic? stock 1600 or hopped up?

http://s86.photobucket.com/albums/k92/my67truck/my%201641cc%20vw%20rail/

[URL=http://www.mybannermaker.com/link.php?nurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.mybannermaker.com][/URL]
Quote 0 0
olspeed
About the only thing I can add, are you sure you are getting fuel. Pull the aircleaner off and work the throttle and see if the accelerator pump is working(spraying fuel) if it is then it almost has to be electrical.
Olspeed
p.s. bumblebee73   darn nice banner you got there!
66 Ghia, "Dexter" 76 flat window Beetle
It's not a Car it's a VolksWagon!
Quote 0 0
Sleepwalker
Pay close attention to one of the things bumblebee73 said,
 "i would start by #1 at TDC , and pulling the cap off and make sure that it is pointing at #1 as well, if ok  then i would recheck your valve adjustment, just to make sure they are opening and closing properly"
If you just rebuilt it, are you sure the cam is in right? Cyln #1, TDC, rock the main pulley back and forth and be sure BOTH valves do not move. It's not unheard of or hard to miss the cam seating by 1 or even 2 teeth, or heck 180 degrees for that matter. Also check the Dizzy drive shaft is not off as well.
Just another thought with the limited information available. 
"He who knows enough to learn, knows enough"
Quote 0 0
MY72BUG
You say that it was running.  Was it running well?  Did you shut it off and then restart it or did it die?  When you are checking for spark is it at the plugs - at all four?  Ignition switches can do funny things like turn over the starter to beat the band but then send power to the coil intermittently.  Have somebody crank the starter while you test for power at the coil.  Pull the distributor cap off and turn it over to check for make-break action at the points.  If the points have come loose or are hung up this will faze you something fierce.
Quote 0 0
Karl53
it ran very nice.  i did shut it down, then when i went to start it again it wouldn't start.  i started it on the floor, so i don't think that makes a difference though.  i rechecked the valves, and they are perfect, i rechecked the timing, it's good too.  i cleaned the carb, and it's working fine.  distributer is where it's supposed to be at tdc, plug wires are in order,  points are brand new, adjusted properly to .016.  fuel is fresh,  i will recheck that i'm getting spark at each plug, but other than that i'm out of ideas, and i'm getting tired of this.
1971 Superbeelte
1970 Standard beetle
1974 Westfalia
Quote 0 0
olspeed
Karl53 hate to say it but you are going to have to go back over it again. If you have fuel,spark,compression and every thing is set and plugged in right it should run. Unless some part is failing just when you try to start it. have your timing light hooked up and make sure the spark doesn't go away when you turn it over. It's going to be something simple so keep looking.
Olspeed 
66 Ghia, "Dexter" 76 flat window Beetle
It's not a Car it's a VolksWagon!
Quote 0 0
Karl53
alright, i'm going to start over and check everything
1971 Superbeelte
1970 Standard beetle
1974 Westfalia
Quote 0 0
MY72BUG
I had a puzzling no-start earlier this year with a brand new distributor.  The power wire entering the distributor had been pinched by the small bracket which holds it and the insulation cut by the tiniest bit - just enough for the power to go to ground and voila - no start even with power at the coil.  Times like this call for a VW buddy to come over and go as far as to substitute the carb, the distributor, the coil anything that might prove to be the culprit.
Quote 0 0
Karl53
ok, so i have spark, and it still won't start, even with the use of starter fluid.  i've tried all the suggestion given and still nothing yet. so i'm starting to get depressed with this. 

1971 Superbeelte
1970 Standard beetle
1974 Westfalia
Quote 0 0
Sleepwalker
WOW this has really become a challenge! About the only other thing I can think of is:
1) How are you checking the spark? Pulling a plug and grounding it outer threads, to the block through a wire wrapped to say a head stud, seeing the spark?
2) Are you sure you are not chasing a ground issue at the block? Meter the block back to the negative cable at the battery, should be real close to 0 ohms. Might have shook the ground strap loose the first time you fired it up?

Just some added thoughts, hope you find it.
Quote 0 0
YELLRHD
Ditto.
If you are starting it out of the car (on the floor) could be one of your jumper wires is not getting a good connection or it worked loose.

Quote 0 0
Karl53
I GOT IT....... I GOT IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!     what happened was that the plug wire for number one and two were in the wrong place at the distributor, change it around and she's alive!!!
1971 Superbeelte
1970 Standard beetle
1974 Westfalia
Quote 0 0
Sleepwalker
Whew, glad to hear that!
I was going to hate to tell about when that happened to me because in all the frustration some dang fool, well ummm yeah OK it was me, forgot to put the rotor back in the dizzy!
Most the time it is the simple things we take for granted.
Quote 0 0
bumblebee73

Sleepwalker wrote:
Whew, glad to hear that!
I was going to hate to tell about when that happened to me because in all the frustration some dang fool, well ummm yeah OK it was me, forgot to put the rotor back in the dizzy!
Most the time it is the simple things we take for granted.

doh!!!
i've done that before
http://s86.photobucket.com/albums/k92/my67truck/my%201641cc%20vw%20rail/

[URL=http://www.mybannermaker.com/link.php?nurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.mybannermaker.com][/URL]
Quote 0 0