ryen74 Show full post »
Jerky_san

ah is the brand new one with all the extra tunning options? or the race one? Either way have you got a mpg rating?

Quote 0 0
ryen74

The tuning points one. I want to dial it in before I get a mpg rating. I will post it when I do. Thing is, when I put my new tach on I think I bumped a wire and now my fuel gage doesn't work so I need to figure that out.

Ryen
"Arizona dreamin'"
Quote 0 0
Jerky_san

One last question is how much did it cost? Not to butt in but i've been wanting to retro fit my VW to have it but they wanted a nice penny for the other one.. Also is it a "Dual carb type" setup or a single mount?

Quote 0 0
ryen74

It was around $1800 if I remember correctly. I had dual 40s on there before I did the conversion, but yes it is a dual carb setup. They give you everything you need for the conversion including new intake manifolds.

Ryen
"Arizona dreamin'"
Quote 0 0
ryen74

I heard of a guy who put the kit on his van and was getting poor gas mileage. But I do not think he had it setup right and maybe he had the race one. It ran rich at first but I can adjust it, so I am not worried.

Ryen
"Arizona dreamin'"
Quote 0 0
Jerky_san

hmm alright.. well make sure you post on it ^_^ theres a lot of people who would want to know

Quote 0 0
fatalifeaten
68autobug wrote:

Yes, I haven't seen anyone with EMPI alloy standoffs do that..
 Maybe We are talking about the same thing...
 standoffs are made from alloy and use 10 bolts...

I'm thinking the empi decklid standoffs. They bolt to the stock decklid mounting location just under the rear window vent, and then you bolt the stock decklid mounting brackets to them. They're made from aluminum and use a whole buncha bolts per side, I think it's 6 or 8. I'll have to go count.  I'm pretty sure this is also what you're thinking about. I just drove the decklid hinge pins out and replaced them with quick release pins, then put the decklid on and aligned it so that it opened and closed without binding up on the upper lip of the engine bay or my bumpers. I also have a decklid prop, which is a V-shaped piece of chromed mild steel that slots into the hinge brackets and holds the decklid open (I'm not running a spring) I can prop it open at shows, or have it completely off in about 15 seconds by popping off the 2 quick release pins and the license plate light connection (which I spliced a  quick disconnect butt connector on)

Works well. Not the cleanest install, because I didn't have the correct wiring for the license light, butit gets the job done
Daily Driven Dubz Phoenix AZ Family

'66 Deluxe
'63 Deluxe ragtop
'61 Deluxe
Quote 0 0
Jerky_san
One last thing about the inject is did it come with the steel lines to run to your gas tank? and also how hard was it to run and what kinda lines did you use if you didn't get them with kit.

Also its odd that your engine is running hotter after the injection was added.. The standoffs work but I would ensure that your engine tin is all good and make sure you have a stock pulley on your crank. I know you can get what is called a "power pulley" where it will decrease the cooling fan speed to increase HP. Or if i remember right you can get a larger pulley to increase the cooling capacity. Since you should of gotten a nice boost of hp from dual setup you could stand to loose a hp or two for extra cooling..

Quote 0 0
ryen74

It came with all the rubber lines I needed. I have rubber comming from the tank to a "T" where rubber goes to a hard line I made that runs back to the firewall. Then another rubber line to the pressure reg and to the injectors. Rubber line to stuck hardline back to "T". All I had to do was buy some steel breakline and fittings for the hard line. Thank you for the info on the cooling.

Ryen
"Arizona dreamin'"
Quote 0 0
ryen74

Still workin' on the mpg. I have been doing body work on the fiberglass fenders. I also need to figure out why the fuel gage stoped working. I can't really look to the wiring diagram for help seeing as thy guy who had it before me just did what he wanted when wiring the car.

Ryen
"Arizona dreamin'"
Quote 0 0
68autobug
Hi,
My Son gave Me a Hood Jax bracket to pin My engine lid too.
it uses 4 pins to hold it on..
removes in seconds...
I will be replacing the EMPI alloy stand offs...
after using the empi standoffs last summer, I tried all winter to get the engine lid aligned up perfectly..
but alas, I didn't succeed so the hood jax look as a good alternative...
they are very popular in Australia..

cheers

Lee

68AutoBug - helping keep air cooled Volkswagens alive in Australia & around the World -

http://community.webshots.com/user/vw68autobug
-
Quote 0 0