javajuice

I was underneath my bug and think I've noticed that my engine has a self cleaning setting (wow those germans think of everything).

The sump section of the engine seems to be getting cleaner and has revealed 2 patches one on each side of the strainer plate, they are white and flakey, like the way magnesium tends to flake or get powdery when exposed to chemicals in old film camera magazines (my only familiarity with magnesium), the patches are about 1.5" by 4" about equidistant between the strainer plate and the side of the sump.

I have not installed any gauges to see if the oil temp is overheating, but no funky smells, no steaming oil, and can touch the end of the dipstick that dips in to the oil, but yes its hot.

Any thoughts as to why the exterior of the sump is becoming powdery?

formerly 1973 Super Beetle: Bugpack quick shift, Bug pack hide a way, TMI light grey tweed seat upholstery, a decreasing amount of grey primer ;)
Quote 0 0
GRIZDOG

I just noticed that this is happening to my engine as well.  There's no way its over heating, because I just finished rebuilding it.  I have all the originall air flaps and thermostat as well.  I also don't drive it very hard and never over 65.  It always runs great, but it was hard to start the other day when it was warmed up.  I have purchased a new automatic choke and will install it as soon as it arives.  Also, I've never noticed any significant amount of heat pouring out of my engine comparment and it doesn't feel hot if I hold my hand close to the engine (like it did before I rebuilt it).

Does anyone know what this is?  I truly hope it is nothing to be concerned about.

1972 Super Beetle
Quote 0 0
GRIZDOG

According to the expert I spoke with about this, he says it's just a little corrosion on the case, due to the fact that it is Magnesium.  Appearantly, this material tends to do this.  It doesn't sound like anything to worry about.  It also sounds like this will not (or is less likely) to happen if you park your bug in a garage.  Being outside all the time can contribute to this condition.

1972 Super Beetle
Quote 0 0
Ryan

Honestly that's what I thought the first time I read this post, but seriously guys, how clean is your case.  Even the absolute lightest film of oil will prevent that.  Come to think of it, the cases that I've seen shelved for years don't even corrode to that degree.  They do turn a dull grey, but don't get flakey.  Any chance you drove through a puddle of some chemical (acidic)?  Sometimes when people acid wash something (driveway) they don't rinse well enough and the acid isn't dilluted enough.  A small spash on a relatively clean case will certainly cause it to flake like that.  --Ryan

Quote 0 0
GRIZDOG

My case was cleaned by the same guy who align bored it.  It was pretty clean when I got it.

1972 Super Beetle
Quote 0 0
68autobug

The only engines I've seen that have any corrosion were stored next to an above ground swimming pool....

It wasn't flaky so much as powdery....

In normal oily circumstances.... VW engines don't corrode etc....

they just drip.... and leave their mark.....

Lee Noonan     68AutoBug    Australia

http://community.webshots.com/user/vw68autobug

68AutoBug - helping keep air cooled Volkswagens alive in Australia & around the World -

http://community.webshots.com/user/vw68autobug
-
Quote 0 0