MY72BUG
I am contemplating making the transition to an electronic ignition from the old school points/condenser.  CIP 1 shows a cheapie version ( ACC-C10-5844) and the Pertronix PER-1847.  First; has anyone experienced the changeover?  Other than the reliability of electronic ignition did it do anything else for the car's performance?  Would the difference between the Pertronix and the cheapie be all that great?  All opinions are welcome.
Quote 0 0
olspeed
Boy I would do it. I bought an Allison XR700 electronic  ignition years ago, I don't think Pertronix even had one out for the Bug yet.(not sure about that but I hadn't heard of them until later) Anyway it was money well spent, no more points and condenser changes or the cost (always carried a spare set but never used it) and all I have had to do even when changing cap and rotor is wave the timing light at it "just to make sure" never even had to loosen the bolt. Anyway it isn't going to make the thing breath fire or give you an extra 100 horses  but it is money well spent.
Olspeed
66 Ghia, "Dexter" 76 flat window Beetle
It's not a Car it's a VolksWagon!
Quote 0 0
MY72BUG
Thanks olspeed.   Any input on the high end one versus the cheapie?  I notice with the high end they also recommend a Pertronix coil.  I have the Bosche blue which is nearly brand new and I would hate to put it out to pasture so soon.
Quote 0 0
YELLRHD
I would stick with the compufire or petronix.
Your coil should work fine.
aircooled.net has the info on how to do a ohm (resistance) check on your coil to see if it is within the range for use with the electronic ignition.
Quote 0 0
fatalifeaten
If you go this route, throw a spare set of points and a condensor in your parts box. The Pertronix units seem to like to eat themselves randomly, and if you lose one in the middle of nowhere, you'll be happy you have the backup. Also, at 60 bucks a pop, those Pertonix units aren't exactly cheap either. (when you consider points, even good German ones are 5 bucks a pop).
Daily Driven Dubz Phoenix AZ Family

'66 Deluxe
'63 Deluxe ragtop
'61 Deluxe
Quote 0 0
68autobug

fatalifeaten wrote:
If you go this route, throw a spare set of points and a condensor in your parts box. The Pertronix units seem to like to eat themselves randomly, and if you lose one in the middle of nowhere, you'll be happy you have the backup. Also, at 60 bucks a pop, those Pertonix units aren't exactly cheap either. (when you consider points, even good German ones are 5 bucks a pop).

Pertronix are very expensive in Australia
I used an electronic ignition high energy kit which i use with the standard coil and points.. 
the commonly used GT40 Bosch Coil cannot be used as they overheat and burn out because of the high voltage used..

The orange colored Bosch GT40 is the most common coil on VWs in Australia

the points still need to be adjusted every now and then due to the piece that rubs on the shaft wearing down... [even when greased]

I did notice a big improvement in power in the engine and the engine starts first time every time..

I still carry a condenser just in case...

cheers

LEE

PS: I believe any ignition system has got to be better then the old
kettering system.. which was developed by Charles Kettering in 1911.
and condensers are now called Capacitors by every other industry since the 1950s.. approx..  Lee
68AutoBug - helping keep air cooled Volkswagens alive in Australia & around the World -

http://community.webshots.com/user/vw68autobug
-
Quote 0 0
MY72BUG
Now officially on my " to do " list.  Pertronix, keep the Bosche blue, points and condenser in the glove compartment in case the whole works goes south out in the middle of rural Ontario postal code E I E I O.  Thanks for the input guys. Dan
Quote 0 0