NoH2O
So I get the car in primer and am putting it back together. When I went to put the turn signal housing on the drivers side front fender I notice it is not blinking. I gave it a jiggle and it worked. Checked all the connections and all was tight. It is grounding out on the fender where the studs go through the fender. I checked the rear to make sure a ground wasn't off, but it was fine. It also arcs on the fender if the studs touch metal. What could be going on? There are no bare wires, everything is exactly the way it was when I took it apart. Now if the headlights are on, and I turn on the blinkers, it blows the fuse. I've put it back together for the time being and it is not grounding on the fender, it's just not working at all, nor are the brake light or anything on the driver's side. Any ideas? I am supposed to leave for Funfest in like 3 hours. I guess worse case I'll tow it up.
'63 Ragtop
'56 Ragtop
'78 Riviera camper

"..at least I'm enjoyin' the ride"
Quote 0 0
veedo
Make sure the brown wire is connected to the housing .  The brown wire is the ground. If one of the other colored wires is on where the ground should be it will do what you described.  So many people put the black wire on that spot thinking black is the ground wire.  Brown is always ground on VW.
Air cooled before water cooled. They both need more to go fast. Let them breathe and breed the more the better. 55 oval, 58 ragtop,
57 vert, 67 vert, 75 german look monster.
Quote 0 0
NoH2O
Thanks Bill, I put everything back the way it was I'm sure. The black wire is in the offset spot. It is on both sides. The two wires that are close together for the bulb itself, are brown, and a wire with a jumper that goes back to the small bulb at the rear of the housing. If it were wrong wouldn't the pass. side also do it? I understand what your saying and will give it a try. I may well have screwed it up. I've been working on it for the last week every night until 1 or 2 A.M. I'll backtrack my steps and see what the hecks going on.

I had to weld 3 of the fender nuts? back in. They were the ones closest to the door. The harness turns before it goes too far down there, but any chance I may have heated something up or....
'63 Ragtop
'56 Ragtop
'78 Riviera camper

Quote 0 0
68autobug

In All Beetle wiring diagrams I have used in the past, the LH head/LH tail lamps were always indepenant of the RH side ones...

If a fuse is blowing there is too much current going to the ground..

ie.. a Short circuit... maybe a burned wire shorting out...

VW made different wiring diagrams for different countries...

North American circuit diagrams were always totally different to what We had in Australia... even different switches etc....

While You are fiddling with the fusebox etc... Its a good policy to polish all electrical terminals as copper gets contaminated over the years...

If You make all connections like they were when the car was new...

The lights will be brighter.... Just do one wire at a time to make sure nothing gets mixed up... I polished all connections plus the fuses in My Sons Beetle and made the world of difference .... some of His fuses were getting hot due to the bad fuse contacts... the ends of the fuses were contaminated....  Once all polished up.. and bend the copper bits that the fuses fit into... so more tension.... they also lose their tension if overheated....

Lee Noonan -- 68AutoBug -- Australia --

http://community.webshots.com/user/vw68autobug

68AutoBug - helping keep air cooled Volkswagens alive in Australia & around the World -

http://community.webshots.com/user/vw68autobug
-
Quote 0 0
NoH2O
I went back and checked and sure enough there was a black wire hooked up to the ground spot on the driver's side. No more blowing fuses but, still have a fast blinker on that side. Turns out in all that aggravation, the drivers brake light blew. I figured this may be the problem, but after changing it, it still is blinking fast and no blink at all on the front drivers. That marker light is quite a bit brighter than the other one now too. I noticed when both sides were apart that the two very small bulbs in the rear of the front housings weren't working. Aren't these the parking lights? I'm going to pick up bulbs for them and see if it makes a difference. Neither of these were working, to the best of my knowledge, when I started though. Main thing I guess is that I'm not blowing fuses at least. Just seems to be a bulb issue now.
'63 Ragtop
'56 Ragtop
'78 Riviera camper

Quote 0 0