space_age_cesar
I believe that's the rear window defroster. I know mine is, but I drive a '71 Super.
1971 SB going through dramatic, arduous, costly, and time consuming modifications (currently: kaputz).
1969 Manual Beetle stock daily driver
Quote 0 0
Monsterbeetle
Ok, tell me this isn't a horrific newbie question but... What do all the dash knobs do on my '73 Super Beetle? There's 3 altogether, one small and two large. I'm guessing the small one is the fan(?) but its not working so I'm not sure. Also there's a lever marked "temp" by the e-brake. What does it do in the the up or down position? Thanks for suffering through my questions.
Quote 0 0
flash
I have a 73 Super....The small knob is for the fresh air fan. The first larger knob on the immediate right is a fresh air on off as is the other large one. By the way, the thing in between the two is a spotlight that is adjustable to shine a light on the heater controls between the seats. Speaking of Heater controls.....The one nearest the driver is the heat temperature lever....lever up - heat fully on.....lever down - heat off. You're suppose to be able to select degrees of heat by adjusting lever. Most all VWs..have two modes HOT or none. The second lever on the passenger side distributes heat from front to rear foot wells. Get on ebay and pick up an owners manual they come up quite often on there.

Let me know if you need anything else.

Loren
Loren R. Knapp
In The Hot Sonoran Desert of Arizona - 73 Super Beetle "The Blues."
Quote 0 0
Monsterbeetle
Thanks for all the help. I almost felt silly asking, but this is my first VW. So you have a '73 also? Do you like it? What kind of shape is it in? I must say I'm quite impressed with mine so far (even she needs a little TLC). Thanks again.
Quote 0 0
flash
Hey Monsterbeetle send me your emaill address and I'll send you a picture. I bought my SB new in 73. Wayne's going to spotlight it here sometime in the future.

Loren
Loren R. Knapp
Quote 0 0
ginrob
Thanks, for the knob and lever answer. I have a question about a small switch under the drivers side of the dash. It is located under the dash on the left side of the steering wheel. I do not know what it is for.
Thank you.
Rob
Ginger and Rob
72 Super (daily driver)
Quote 0 0
flash
Rob....does it look like a factory knob or an after market deal? I don't believe my 73 has any knobs on the left side except the headlight switch.
Loren
Loren R. Knapp
Quote 0 0
ginrob
it is a factory switch, like on/off, not a knob and it is under the dash. If anyone knows what it is for please let me know, I have a 72 Super.
Rob
Ginger and Rob
72 Super (daily driver)
Quote 0 0
ginrob
that would explain it. I do have a rear window defroster, and I do not know how to turn it on.
Thank you.
Rob
Ginger and Rob
72 Super (daily driver)
Quote 0 0
68autobug
Loren,
You have a genuine ONE owner 1973 1303S Beetle...
WOW !!! that is really unique....

The 1303S is called the "L" Beetle in Australia...
and they are fairly rare these days as they were NOT welcomed by the VW fraternity because they did NOT have a flat windscreen.. and because real VW enthusists didn't buy them... most are now gone.. there are a few on the VW scene but most these days have rusted away somewhere...
They are now OK by the VW enthusists... better late then never I suppose...
Our LAST Beetle the 1976 was a standard Beetle with a Flat windscreen... [ did Volkswagenwerk know that flat windscreen Beetles were preferred??]
cheers

Lee -- 68AutoBug -- Australia --

http://au.msnusers.com/My1968restoredBeetle/shoebox.msnw?

68AutoBug - helping keep air cooled Volkswagens alive in Australia & around the World -

http://community.webshots.com/user/vw68autobug
-
Quote 0 0