sup73bk
Yeah, I have a digital camera, but I probably won't get the pictures up until friday. Synchorinizing isn't really bad I have the cheaper synchro with the screw adjustment and it seems to work fine. What I have noticed and the webber tech manual says to is that it is important to keep the filters clean. As for the power, you will notice a difference especially on a stock motor, but then you get used to it and you will be wanting more. No I don't have any experience putting the drop spindles and disk brakes on, but it has been on the list for a while of things to get. I am sure it isn't to bad though.
I love my bug I have had it since I was 16; I have learned a lot about cars from fixing mine. Does your have the shimmies and shakes at 55mph, I got mine down to a slight shake, I think one of my rims is bent. Is it a daily driver or a weekend cruiser, mine is a daily driver, but it will soon be a weekender. Well good luck!
1972 1302S
dual 34 icts,Pertronix Points,Corbeau Seats, GT Exhaust, Lower front and rear sway-bars, Strut tower bar, Jacob's Elec. Ign., Empi Shifter, Front Disc Brakes & SS Brake Lines

1973 Squareback (1776cc, dual 40mm)
Quote 0 0
gzempich
I am in the process of installing dual weber ICT carbs and I am having an issue with the hex cross bar lining up. With the carbs installed, the carb brackets for the cross bar line up directly into the heat intakes of the fan shroud(dog house).

The carbs were purchased from a friend who had them on a squareback, so are there different cross bar carb brackets for a 73 super beetle?
Quote 0 0
sup73bk
I have 34 ICTs on my 72 Super and yes their is a brass bracket that bolts onto the side of the carb that puts the linkage hex bar out of the way. The problem I then ran into was that the cables angle was to steep and was cutting into the fan shroud, so also make sure that the bar that comes down from the linkage to connect to the cable is long enough to keep it from cutting into the fan shroud. Also, are they jetted? I had to re-jet mine, if you have any questions let me know I have the webber tuning manual for the ICTs.
1972 1302S
dual 34 icts,Pertronix Points,Corbeau Seats, GT Exhaust, Lower front and rear sway-bars, Strut tower bar, Jacob's Elec. Ign., Empi Shifter, Front Disc Brakes & SS Brake Lines

Quote 0 0
gzempich
I have some brass brackets that bolt to the carbs, but they don't line up. Would you have a digital camera to take a picture of yours so that you can send it to me?

Are you happy with the added performance that you got with them? Were they hard to sync?

My friend had them sync'd and jetted for a type 1 in his square back so I am hoping that I don't have to do anything else.

Thanks for your response. How do you like your super? We just purchased this one about a month ago and are having fun tinkering. Next is drop down front disc brakes, any experience?
Quote 0 0
Envious
If you got the carbs from a friend with a square back you've probably got shorter intakes than you would use with an upright fan shroud if you check the catalogues, you'll see 2 different heights listed. I'd guess you'd probably have to pick up a taller set of manifolds to help your problem.
71 Custom Beetle
64 Convertible Beetle
63 Beetle Sedan Gulf Blue
64 1500s Squareback Nutria
52 BSA C11G
65 Lambretta Li125
04 Touareg
Quote 0 0
gzempich
Thanks for your reply, I only got the carbs from him and I ordered the intakes from BAP import parts specifically for the 73 beetle. I even called them back and verified them to be the correct ones.

Thanks again, still searching....
Quote 0 0
68autobug
I haven't heard anything bad about dropped spindles as everything is still correct.. angles etc..
all You have done is lowered the car...
The shimmies can be fixed by driving slower.. 50 mph.!!

Only Joking, or by installing Nolathane bushes.. these also help in the engine department - nolathane engine & gearbox mounts. They stop All movement..

Lee Noonan - 68AutoBug -- Australia --
68AutoBug - helping keep air cooled Volkswagens alive in Australia & around the World -

http://community.webshots.com/user/vw68autobug
-
Quote 0 0
gzempich
I think that I have short intakes for a type III per your earlier suggestion. Did you get a digital picture up for me?
Quote 0 0
sup73bk
Sorry it took so long for me to get back to you but here are the pictures of 34 ICTs on my 1600cc Dual Port in my 72 Super. Hopefully these will help, what I recommend doing is saving the pictures and viewing them in Adobe and then you can zoom in on the pictures for a better look. Beware though these files are large like 1/2 a meg.

1972 1302S

Quote 0 0
gzempich
Thanks for the pictures. I found that the brackets on my carbs were for the type 3 and once I purchased the linkage kit from Redline I was able to get it all together. I is back on the road. Since you are using the cone air filters, do you have tap into the intake or something for the crankcase ventilation?
Quote 0 0
Wayne
I can Photoshop them for you if you want. Then you can upload them again at a smaller size and resolution. Let me know.
Quote 0 0
sup73bk
I don't know what you are talking about with the crank case ventilation. Are you talking about the hose coming out of the oil filler cap location? If that is the case I have it plugged into the fanshroud. I used to have it plugged into the top of the cone, but I didn't like that and got a different cone with no hole. I really don't see the difference, but if you know of a problem that might occur let me know.
1972 1302S

Quote 0 0
gzempich
It is my understanding that the crank case can build up pressure from the moving parts and this pressure needs to escape. It is called positive crank case ventilation and every motorized automobile has one. Typically on the larger/US cars it comes out of the valve cover and goes to the air cleaner. Our Vdubs has it coming out of the oil filer tube going into the stock air cleaner. The vapor or air just goes into the carb to be mixed with fuel. I have seen in the VW trends mag small cone filters that will fit the tube on the oil filler so this is the way I will probably go. I just wanted to see if you did anything special with yours.

Thanks for the reply.
Quote 0 0
sup73bk
nope, but those filters are a good idea, I have thought about those, but I think the best think would be a breather. You can get a pretty good one for about $40 and that way you can have the valve covers on both sides breath and from the filler neck.
1972 1302S

Quote 0 0
gzempich
Ok, so now one of the used webers is leaking or so it seems. Lesson learned, Don't buy used parts for your VW even if it seems like a good deal. I had to purchase a new linkage kit, now have them rebuilt. My first reaction is that less hassle means more, but the experience my 16 year old gets is more important.
Quote 0 0