GRIZDOG

I am having trouble finding the original air cleaner with the preheat valve.  As an alternative, I was thinking about going with dual carbs, as they do not have any trouble with icing.

Can I use my existing Solex 30/31 with another of the same for my dual setup?

Also, is this a major project?  The idea seems fairly simple, but I am not too familiar with how to do this.

If I use another Solex 30/31, what should I expect to pay to set up my single port with dual carbs?  Are there any suprises in store that I must consider before getting too envolved?

1972 Super Beetle
Quote 0 0
dods1600

You shouldn't have to much trouble with icing, however I know that setting up just one solex is a pain so i can only imagine what setting up two is going to be like. You may just want to look at some new webers or something of that nature. The article that ryan wrote would actually be of an enormous help to you.

this probably doesnt help but I gives you some more things to consider. good luck

1600cc biggest most powerful engine for a stock beetle. Power house!:) Smokes the tires in first in the rain
Quote 0 0
Ryan

A thermostatic aircleaner is nice, but not a necessity provided your heat risers are clear and functioning.  As for using stock carbs in a dual carb setup, well anything can be done, some things just aren't worth the effort.  The amount of fabrication would be the concern.  But if you've got all the tooling and materials, it would be cheaper.  As for easier, not really.  --Ryan

Quote 0 0
GRIZDOG

I actually sent an email to Aircooled.net to ask them this same question.  They told me the Solex 30/31 was designed for a single carb setup and would not work.  They suggested a kit they sell on their site which uses dual webers.  I'm sure it's a great kit, but I'm not ready to blow $470 on this right now.  Maybe this Summer.  Until then, I rigged up something that might work.  I'll know better tomorrow when I warm it up before I go to work.

The problem is that it doesn't want to keep running in the morning.  It just keeps stalling, but once I get going, it seems fine.  This is even if I let it warm up for several minutes with my foot on the gas.  It seems like it's just cold and won't warm up until I get driving down the road a ways.

1972 Super Beetle
Quote 0 0
Ryan

Don't bother trying to warm up the engine in your driveway.  The best way to warm up an engine fast, and more importantly, evenly, is simply to drive it.  --Ryan

Quote 0 0
GRIZDOG

Acutally, I seem to have found something that works.  It wicked afro engineering, but it seems to be working.

I "made" my own fresh air cleaner to accept the hot-air hose so that my carb will only take in hot air.  I'll try to post pics in a bit.

1972 Super Beetle
Quote 0 0