Envious
The answer to your question depends on the motor you've got and size of carbs you're looking into.

Assuming you're running a stock engine, consider a simple dual carb setup like kadrons. A good ole' stand by. They'll make you a little extra umph and look the business. I prefer buying an older Solex set (used on 912's) and rebuilding them,as opposed to the newer Empi Kads. I think the quality is a little better but brand new are a lot less hassle and likely serve you well for years.

Kadrons or other smaller dual carb setups (baby Dells or Webber ICF's) do not require the fuel pump to be upgraded.

It's not necessary to upgrade your igintion but an electronic trigger system (ie Pertronix) is always worth the couple of bucks.

Lastly, your exhaust. Again not necessary to change but keep in mind that your motor is an air pump. You're looking to upgrade the intake side so you should consider improving flow on the exhaust side as well.
71 Custom Beetle
64 Convertible Beetle
63 Beetle Sedan Gulf Blue
64 1500s Squareback Nutria
52 BSA C11G
65 Lambretta Li125
04 Touareg
Quote 0 0
ginrob
Thank you very much for letting me know which engine I have. I had asked about dual carbs and was told it is not to hard to do and that my engine would work with them.
Here are a couple more questions...
I found a dual carb kit (says it comes with everything) from real source. I have not shopped around yet.
Besides a kit, what else will I need? Do I have to upgrade anything? Like fuel pump, or exhaust or anything else.Do I have to move or remove any parts? What size carbs should be installed? I see sizes from 34 to 48. I am not very smart when it come to engines, but I can read instructions, so I think I can do this. I want to learn more and I think working on the car will give me that knowledge.
I like the look of dual carbs and if it gives me a little more power I will love it! Even if I do not get more power I will like it, just for the look.
Thanks for any advice.
Thanks for this forum so I can ask these questions.
Rob
Ginger and Rob
72 Super (daily driver)
Quote 0 0
sup73bk
I agree with going with the Kadrons, I have 34 ICTs on my bug which are probably the cheapest and also have the least technology in them, but the run okay. I wouldn't go with the real source though they are spendy. Check around you should be able to find a better deal than real source try California Import Parts and Aircooled.net. Plus another thing to remember is that out of the box carbs are not going to usually run well on your car unless by dumb luck. Take some time to check out aircooled.net's tech article on jetting. I did it my self and so can you! "We all new nothing at one time."
1972 1302S
dual 34 icts,Pertronix Points,Corbeau Seats, GT Exhaust, Lower front and rear sway-bars, Strut tower bar, Jacob's Elec. Ign., Empi Shifter, Front Disc Brakes & SS Brake Lines

1973 Squareback (1776cc, dual 40mm)
Quote 0 0
I agree with the last post, almost no carb setup is going to work out of the box. I learned that the hard way after I decided to go with a single Weber 40IDF centermount. I figured that a lot of people do the duals, and I wanted something unique. Besides, I have a stock 1600 Dual port and I thought that anything more and I'd be overcarbing. So I figured it would be a relatively inexpensive and easy conversion. Well, I was DEAD wrong.... and to save everyone the hassle I went through being new at this, I'll give you my long story. Maybe I can help someone else...

After having to take a hacksaw to the manifold to size it properly, fiddle with the junk rounded linkages, and realize my heat riser tubes didn't go all the way up to the carb, I realized that was just the beginning of the nightmare. I made the mistake of buying one of those square Facet fuel pumps and wiring up a safety cut off in case of an accident, so fuel wasn't being dumped onto an engine fire. Well those facet pumps are absolute JUNK. They make a constant clicking noise and are high pressure/low volume pumps which is terrible for any carb, especially Webers. On top of that, the linkage was rounded and not square, so it was a pain getting the accelerator cable to stay in one place on it. I ended up drilling a hole across it and putting a set screw in there so it would stay. So when I had everything finally mounted, I cranked the engine over and it started. The problem is that the carb is jetted all wrong... so it idles fine but when you hit the gas it falls flat on its face.

This brings me to where I am now. I have a bunch of Weber jets on order (idle, pump, main) and I have to change them out and strike the right balance. At about $10.00 per jet, remembering you need 2 of each type, it's gotten pretty expensive. Not to mention I have to change that fuel pump out to a nice one, like a Carter 4070, which is about $95.00. So lets add up what I went through:

Weber 40 IDF kit - ~425.00
First Fuel Pump - 50.00
Second Fuel Pump - 95.00
Jets - ~80.00
Misc parts - ~20.00

In otherwords, I would have been better off going with the dual 40 IDFs... something that I would have known if I had done my homework before I bought a carb. Sorry for the long post guys, but if this helps even one person think twice before rushing out for a carb it'll be worth it!
Quote 0 0
Envious
BEETLEVH,

Sorry to hear about the hassles. Once you get it dialed in though, you'll be happy with the results and will know that much more about what makes your car tick.

I've got a lot of left over new parts from a little 1776 project I was going to build. If any of it can help, let me know. I've got both a Holley and Carter fuel pump new in boxes, regulators, hex bar linkage, etc.

Let me know.

71 Custom Beetle
64 Convertible Beetle
63 Beetle Sedan Gulf Blue
64 1500s Squareback Nutria
52 BSA C11G
65 Lambretta Li125
04 Touareg
Quote 0 0
Jonr99
Nothing is EVER SIMPLE

You asked what else you would or should need ??? (answer: many things).

First, if you pump more gass in, you need to get a better spark to burn it. Put in the electronic ignition with the 40k coil, and set the plug gap larger.

Second, you need to get the exhaust out in a more efficiant manner, so you better get an extractor style header.

Third, Carb JETs. These carbs were never part of the VW line-up, and since they can work on 1500-2110s size motors, you will need to adjust them to fit you specific engine.

Lastly, you might also want a bigger cam to take advantage of the larger carbs.

I could go on and on, but simply adding 2 carbs to an engine is only the first step, and not allways the best first step. I do exhaust, ignition, and then carb.

Good luck,
Jon
Quote 0 0
Jonr99
I almost forgot, get a good dual carb balance tool! If you run duals, you better make sure they are balanced properly. If not, you might run lean on one side, and rich on the other. Gass milage will go down, performance will suffer, overheating can happen (Lean side). And other BAD things.

Jon
Quote 0 0
Ryan
You shouldn't need to upgrade the fuel pump. In most cases it'll support 150hp without breaking a sweat, you know the pressure is adjustable on them... Exhaust should be done at the same time but you don't absolutely have to. Carb size is a tricky question. Really it depends are where you are now and where you plan to be in the future. There are guys that have run IDAs flawlessly on engines sizes 1776 and smaller, it can be done if you tune them for it. So there's no one answer to this, only recommendations. --Ryan
Quote 0 0