Brought home new project today - 79 convertible - complete but needs the usual (floor/door bottoms, etc) - and the other 72 super body is not yet back on the body pan! Not bad for $400.00 !!!!

Immediate problem!!

(1)Driver door is locked-passenger door open

The pull up/push down knob on the interior top of driver door is missing;

Key goes in outside door lock, turns part way -  feels like it will brake if more pressure is added - If I roll up driver window and remove upholstery - is there something I can access ?

How can I get this door opened?

(2) Could this car have air conditioning? - no compressor in engine compartment (fuel enjected engine appears to have been replaced by earlier engine) - in trunk there is a long black plactic unit with a radiator type unit (with coils & fins & what appears to be refrigeration fittings) This container obviously fits behind the dash on the trunk side.

Any help appreciated- suggestions & observations invited- Thanks - Tom Fitz

Quote 0 0
NoH2O

I'm gonna say yes and yes!

The door lock can be accessed behind the door panel. It almost sounds possible that if the push/pull knob is missing, that possibly the piece that it screws down on is getting caught inside, before the hole it should be sticking through. Does that make any sense at all?  I think what I'm trying to say is the part that the push/pull knob screws onto is hanging up outside the hole, instead of going through it when you are turning the key. If you pull the panel you can have someone turn the key as you guide the mechanism through the hole. You can probably reach both yourself actually. Then put on a knob or leave it unlocked till you can.

As far as the A/C, I'd say yep you probably had it at one time. On of the PO's yanked the compressor which is pretty common it seems. I've seen quite a few bugs that had A/C but almost everyone was missing the compressor. I see them pop up on samba every once in awhile. Sounds like a good project for the $400. The late verts bring a pretty penny it seems.

Good Luck!

Steve

'63 Ragtop
'56 Ragtop
'78 Riviera camper

"..at least I'm enjoyin' the ride"
Quote 0 0

Thanks for the advice Steve!!

It appears that compressors are available and the new ones are better than the originals - Do you know where I can get more info on the factory units?

What engine/ carb or injection/ and distributor would you suggest I use in the 79 convertible?

Again any advice, comments or suggestions appreciated  

Again thanks - Tom

Quote 0 0
flash

Hey Tom...

"The Blues" has had AC every since I bought 'er back April 10, 1973.  I did replace the old cast iron compressor with one of the new less-drag ones about 11 years ago. Here's a site that carries a lot of things that you may need:

http://www.iceac.com/

Loren R. Knapp
In The Hot Sonoran Desert of Arizona - 73 Super Beetle "The Blues."
Quote 0 0
NoH2O

Well, for sure it should have came factory with the F.I. Dual Port 1600cc. The 75-79 uses the L-jetronic F.I. system. Models before that had D-jetronic. I can't say for sure but it probably had the 009 distributer. The last 3 numbers on it will tell you what you have. Most likely the PO removed the F.I. after something went wrong and didn't want or know how to fix it. Everything else is probably still stock. Did you check the numbers on the case to be sure what engine is in there?

Does it run alright now without the F.I.? I would leave it be if you weren't worried about stock specs. It won't hurt to run the carb. Do you know what carb. is on there? The F.I. system is great when it's running well. There's more there to go wrong, therefore more parts to replace if this happens. But when tuned properly the F.I. is a great runner.

Steve

'63 Ragtop
'56 Ragtop
'78 Riviera camper

Quote 0 0

Again - Thanks Steve

I also have a 72 sun roof - body pan is on the lift/body in the corner of shop

Because of other unfinished projects (36 Ford 5 window coupe & 37 Ford rumble seat convertible) I can't get to the convertible right away

Based upon the sheet metal in engine compartment I think the 79 original engine has been removed - have to located rebuilt 79 with all parts including alternator  (suggestions?)

I really appreciate you help Steve - where you located

Tom - Wildwood, NJ 

Quote 0 0
NoH2O

Hey Tom,

I'm down here in N. Kentucky, Cincinnati Oh. basically. My wife however is from N.J. I believe Somerset would be the closest city/town. I think the actual town was Whitehouse? or something like that. We're up that way usually once a year at least. She's also got friends in Cherry hill. That puts you in the southern end of the state doesn't it? 

There is a guy who has a large shop up that way and deals in turnkey engines and parts as well as complete car sales. I'll have to dig up his info. I talked to him some time ago about a 1600. He had good prices and warranties his work. I'll see if I still have his info.

Sounds like you got some nice toys. I love those old rumble seats. I always thought that was the coolest thing.

Take it easy!

Steve

'63 Ragtop
'56 Ragtop
'78 Riviera camper

Quote 0 0