Drifty
Hi guys....how do I test and clean my oil cooler ?
Never teach a pig to sing. It cann't be done and it irritates the pig.
Quote 0 0
olspeed
If you are sure it has not had a bearing failure,then see if you can find some clean solvent (Stoddard solvent is non flammable) Gas will work too (BUT NO FLAME ) Back flush it, the oil normally runs from the back of the engine toward the front. This should clean out most of the carbon and sludge that is in used oil. If it had a bearing failure then it's time to replace the cooler as there is no real way to clean it, and it will always be dumping metal back in to the system. To test it you will have to make a test plate that will cover the holes and allow you to put compressed air to it. I normally pump mine up to about 30 LBS and then leave it sit,if it leaks down then it's no good unless your plate was leaking (a little soap sprayed on will let them show up) 
Olspeed
66 Ghia, "Dexter" 76 flat window Beetle
It's not a Car it's a VolksWagon!
Quote 0 0
68autobug

I cleaned Mine out with a spray can of degreaser
kept spraying and cleaning with water until it was flushed out..

came out really good...

Lee

68AutoBug - helping keep air cooled Volkswagens alive in Australia & around the World -

http://community.webshots.com/user/vw68autobug
-
Quote 0 0
Drifty
Thank you gentlemen......no bearing failure here.....motor is in my project car...haven't fired her up yet....did crank over smooth and got 135 lbs in each cylinder.....it's coming out of car sometime before spring ...gonna do a clutch..front seal...and...CLEAN THE COOLER.....have installed all new fuel system...hoses, electric pump and pressure reg (under tank)..boiled out tank...nice and clean inside..sent the old Solex off to Texas for a rebush/rebuild...dizzy checks out good.......anything else I need to check  before I fire her off???...............OH..one more thing.....I see clutch disks with springs and without...which should I buy and why???????
Never teach a pig to sing. It cann't be done and it irritates the pig.
Quote 0 0
olspeed
The only thing I don't like about the water in the cooler thing Lee is that you still get the white custard if any water is left in the cooler after cleaning when you fire it up and run it.This can plug the passageways on the cooler and make it less effective. If you were to blow it out with air or at least let it dry for a few days it and keep shaking the water out I guess it would be fine.
On the clutch plate I prefer the one with the springs. I don't know if it's just me and the way I drive or what. But I have never had and luck with the solid discs. I haven't tried them on the Ghia but when I was running my VW Thing I broke the center hub out twice before I switched back to the one with springs. This all took less than a year so I have never went back. I still find some of the springs broken from time to time when I look after pulling the engine but it is not a common thing.
Olspeed  

66 Ghia, "Dexter" 76 flat window Beetle
It's not a Car it's a VolksWagon!
Quote 0 0