ELON1974
the beetle is acting up a little bit, when i start it up, no matter the temperature, the beetle 1) wont start as fast as it used to (it used to crank as fast as any camry or civic i ever drove), and 2) it wont stay alive for more than 4 or 5 seconds before dying. Once I get it going, rev the engine a couple times (wide open rev), etc. it'll usually smooth out and not die ... but this start up thing is killing me.

Is this normal? Keep in mind that this is the first carb-ed/vintage car I've ever known. I'm a little disappointed that it doesn't fire up as fast as it used to, I have to press the accelerator a little to get the car to get going, and I usually feather the accelerator with the clutch in and ease into gear that way so it wont die.

Thoughts?
1974 SB - Lloyd
Quote 0 0
kafertoys
maybe the choke needs adjusting, or the carb in total.

Whens the last time it had the valves adjusted and full tune up?
saving as many as I can
Quote 0 0
ELON1974
I did valves 500 miles ago, and a tune up at around the same time ... Nothing is fouled out or anything like that. Actually, to speak of it, the problems started happening after you adjusted the idling speed and mixtures (yes, i am that college kid). I went to autozone to get some fuel line and filters and oil after i left Vintage Werks and after the new battery was installed the beetle stopped starting on a dime ...
1974 SB - Lloyd
Quote 0 0
kafertoys

Bring It back over and I will check it out for you. Me bringing the idle down from over 2000rpm to just under a 1000 rpm would not affect the way it starts.  I would go for checking the timming but you don't want to be running with such a fast Idle it just means theres another problem.

saving as many as I can
Quote 0 0
Jerky_san
If ya truthfully want to know mine will die at idle in the summer right after starting it.. I think it has something to do with the choke not kicking on but it not being "warm" enough.. So I just drive it a few seconds after start and after the first push of the gas it will idle..
Quote 0 0