benandcarol

Does anyone know of any place that will overhaul the diagonal arms on an IRS rear?

Butch McNay
Quote 0 0
flash

Wish I could help ya.  I don't even understand the question.  As you can tell I'm not mechanical.

Loren R. Knapp
In The Hot Sonoran Desert of Arizona - 73 Super Beetle "The Blues."
Quote 0 0
Ryan

Yeah, what do you mean by overhaul.  There's only one piece in them that even can be replaced (the bushing) and once the arm is off, it's really a DIY job.  --Ryan

Quote 0 0
benandcarol
I guess what I mean by overhaul is the complete assembly, mainly where the stub axels are including inner and outer bushings. I don't have a press so dis-assembly and re-assembly might be hard to do, unless you guy's have some ideas.  I'm very mechanically inclined so I think I could do the overhaul myself if I had the right tools, I just thought there might be someone out there that you could send the assembly to and just have it done. I would rather do the job myself if someone could tell me how. 
Thanks Butch
Butch McNay
Quote 0 0
YELLRHD
I've never done the torsion bar grommets but I hear is is pretty straight foward with the right tools.
As far as the stub axel end there is no need for a press once the nut is removed from the out side and the cv is off the inside it slides right out then you can clean out the old graese and remove the circlip to replace the inner bearings and seal. The outer bearings you have to remove the cap and backing plate to do the same. It is best replace all of the bearings at the same time including the spacers. They can usually be bought as a set from  most of the on-line places.
Quote 0 0
benandcarol
Thanks YELLRHD,  That is exactly what I was hoping to hear, sounds fairly easy so I'll give it a go, thanks again.
Butch
Butch McNay
Quote 0 0