beetlemusic

hello all, It appears I am going to have a major problem finding the rear defrost vents for my '71 super. I have asked several people about used ones from parts cars and all have been beyond use. I am going to ask for some help with this problem. I have thought to try the oval style vents for other models as they appear to be plentiful but I read an article that states these will not work because of the physical size. what have any of you seen done on other '71s with this problem or what other options might be available. Thanks for any help with this. Joe 

'71 super now collecting parts for restoration
Quote 0 0
flash

I'm not clear on what vents you're talking about.  The crescent moon shaped air vents behind the quarter panel windows on each side?  See the photo of The Blues on the left and notice the vents.  I just purchased new chrome ones.

Loren R. Knapp
In The Hot Sonoran Desert of Arizona - 73 Super Beetle "The Blues."
Quote 0 0
beetlemusic

I am sorry if I wasnt clear about that. I am refering to the defrost vents that run either side of the rear window on the inside. I recently found anoither post in the wanted section about these vents and now this search seems even more hopeless. one option that is probably what I will do is just cover the vent holes and make sure the electric strips in the glass are working properly. I was mostly looking for some other options as I want to keep my restoration as close to original as possible without causing other problems down the road. Joe 

Quote 0 0
flash

If you're referring to the 3 little plastic vent covers that are attached through the headliner to the left and right of the rear window...these can be purchased and replaced.  When the guy installed my new headliner he just ignored those slots and covered the vent holes. I had a total upholstery job done and purchased new white vents and they just cut slats and snapped them in.  Those vents allow air to ventilate through the car.  The German's knew what they were doing when they designed these cars.  I believe it's a good idea to not mess with the basics.  Lowering, changing wheel size etc.

Loren R. Knapp
Quote 0 0
68autobug

There Must be something You don't like about them Loren???? lol...

My pet hate is the wiper blades- on the early 6 volt beetles they were hopeless and VW could have copied from other cars...

My 68 has two speed 12v wipers and the blades are fine.... but

the wiper arms don't sit flat on the windscreen rubber....

they are just made at an incorrect angle....

and the later ones are the same.... the wipers weren't made to sit flat on or near the windscreen rubber....

One day I'll get My Son to heat mine up and bend the arms...

I have to be careful as the 68 wipers are one only year in Australia...

We had the old style 6 v car & wipers until 1968...

Wiper arms are held onto the shaft with grub screws....

and  probably same size shaft as the 6 volt ones....

could be the same as 67 German beetles....?

Lee Noonan    68AutoBug   Australia

http://community.webshots.com/user/vw68autobug

68AutoBug - helping keep air cooled Volkswagens alive in Australia & around the World -

-
Quote 0 0
68autobug

I did read somewhere that You could now buy replacement rear window vents....   but I don't know where that was....

certainly not here in Australia....

Best of Luck

Lee   68AutoBug  Australia

68AutoBug - helping keep air cooled Volkswagens alive in Australia & around the World -

-
Quote 0 0
flash

That's right...those windshield wiper blades never seem to follow the curvature of the Super Beetle windshield! I even tried using a shorter one on the passenger side. I have to admit that the original straw filled seats were El Crapo. I still find that straw all these years later hear and there.  It always amazed me that they put so much effort into the design etc...then put 3rd rate seats in. 

Loren R. Knapp
Quote 0 0

I know what you mean on those vents. I had posted the wanted. I have had others email me and said that they have just covered them. I do not want to do that either. Flash, could you direct me to a pic or web site that has the vents that you are talking about?

Oh,

I found that the knob in the back wall of my glove box on my71' super, the wires have been cut! Do either of you know what this is for and ware the wires are supposed to go? And do you know what knob goes beside the wiper knob on the dash? Mine is missing.

Thank a lot.

hhkkr

buckinghamjl@netscape.net

Quote 0 0
flash

See attached photo of chrome crescent vents from Mid America Motorworks:

http://www.800luvbugg.com/shop?frame=3.129.7211

Loren

Loren R. Knapp
Quote 0 0
blur

flash wrote:
If you're referring to the 3 little plastic vent covers that are attached through the headliner to the left and right of the rear window...these can be purchased and replaced.

He is referring to that except on a 1971 there are four per side, and they are not the same size as the ones found beginning in 1972.  They are not for sale by anyone.  [I did see a New Zealander who made one one-off set and sold them about a year ago on the Samba for $200.  ]

By the way and to be very technical about it, there are four slots per side at the rear window instead of three.  There are not eight plastic vents, however.  Each side has one vent that plugs into the four openings.  And sadly, they always seem to break.

Quote 0 0
beetlemusic

I think I have decided how to resolve my defrost vent problem and still retain some of the original function of these vents. I will frame the headliner around the vent mount exactly like original only instead of the plastic vent I will have the 4 holes and surrounding sheet metal finished the same color as the car so that this will look like it is supposed to be that way. the head liner framed around this will give that finished look. by the way I cant take credit for this I saw this done to another '71 and it looked pretty good. I hope this will help somebody else with this '71 defrost vent problem

Quote 0 0