sup73bk
yeah it is probably a good idea to protect your engine from the rain. I have a popped out deck lid and everything gets in, but it is preference. If you are worried about cooling try wrapping the headers or getting them coated or get an oil cooler. Good Luck
1972 1302S
dual 34 icts,Pertronix Points,Corbeau Seats, GT Exhaust, Lower front and rear sway-bars, Strut tower bar, Jacob's Elec. Ign., Empi Shifter, Front Disc Brakes & SS Brake Lines

1973 Squareback (1776cc, dual 40mm)
Quote 0 0
Ron
I installed one of those "rain gutter" (I don't know the correct term here) pieces of tin under my rear deck lid last fall to help keep the rain out. It's the tin that goes under the air intake slots thats on the convertible bugs. I have a 71 super hardtop and this tin fits well on mine. It works real well in keeping the rain out but it seems to be causing my engine to run maybe at little hotter since summer is now upon us (At least in this part of the world!).Has anyone else run into anything like this? Maybe a little rain isn't going to hurt my engine anyhow.

Ron
Quote 0 0
Ryan
Even with dual carbs (which are sensitive to moisture contmination) I've never had a problem with rain when the decklid is on. I've considered the rain gutter option off and on for awhile, but never really felt there was a true need for it. I've even been caught in light rain a few times with no decklid and haven't had a problem. What does get me waterlogged is sprinklers that go astray and shoot directly at the engine with no decklid. --Ryan
Quote 0 0
mikeyD
i like the looks of the rain gutter, but it does deflect air that should be going into the vent slots on the rear decklid. that air is important for cooling. i suppose it won't make you run that much hotter, but remember: air and oil is all you have to keep your engine cool.
Quote 0 0
Ryan
Try, air and air. Something has to cool the oil... --Ryan
Quote 0 0
68autobug
I would take it out in the summer Ron... Maybe that is why VolksWagenWerk didn't install them with 1600 engines here in Australia... then added MORE Vents... those inner rain covers really do restrict the air compared to NO rain covers....
Actually, I haven't seen an inner rain guard cover since the 70s....
or leave them on and Use engine lid stand offs!!!
Now they DO make a difference....

Lee --
68AutoBug - helping keep air cooled Volkswagens alive in Australia & around the World -

http://community.webshots.com/user/vw68autobug
-
Quote 0 0
Ron
Thanks for the replies everyone! I think that I am going to follow Lee's advice and keep the gutter off, at least during the summer months.

Ron
Quote 0 0