flip1978
I replaced the entire brake system starting with the master cylinder. I found some of the wires leading to the two brake light switches had been disconnected, and spliced with new ends. Have I plugged a wire in the wrong location on one of the switches? Both brake and tail lights work correctly. Any ideas?   Phil 
P. Fischer
Quote 0 0
bob
I have a 1974 Super Beetle,  my wires were messed up too but on mine they used a 3 wire plug on both brake switches, I had to pull out my gas tank and run new wires down to the master cylinder, i removed the ground wire off of both plugs and went to the earlier 2 wire system, no more dash light coming on and no stuck brake lights, while I had the tank out, I also replaced the fuel line it was real old, good luck

Bob
Quote 0 0
flip1978
Thanks for the tech info. Both the three wire plugs were cut off by the last owner, I'll just figure out which wires are the ground, disconnect them, and see what happens.   Phil
P. Fischer
Quote 0 0
bob
IF you have the 3 pin brake switches, the middle pin is the ground, the 2 outside pins make your brake light circuit, about 5 or 6 years ago, my 3 pin switches were leaking brake fluid from the pins, after replacing them a couple of times, I went to the older 2 pin switches and have had no problems

Bob
Quote 0 0
flip1978
Thanks again, It has been many years since I owned a VW Bug, and this forum has been very helpful with my technical issues.  Phil  
P. Fischer
Quote 0 0