RicoSuave
Ok so I have a '73 super beetle that's been making a clunking sound near the rear passenger side tire. My dad and I have checked the suspension and nothing seems to be loose, worn out, or broken at all. We also replaced the bearings to see if that was the problem and nothing's changed. If anybody has had this problem or has any ideas on what it could be I'd really appreciate any help.
Quote 0 0
Ron
Could be a CV problem. Replacing the boots / CVs is not too difficult other than it's real messy and the half-shaft circlips are a pain to get off.
Quote 0 0
RicoSuave
the cv isn't the problem I replaced that too.
Quote 0 0
beetlemusic
You described the noise as a clunking sound. I have a 71 super that has a clunking (banging sound) on the passenger rear when driving over rough roads. I have come to the conclusion that my problem is slack in the torsion bar housing that is the only thing that I haven't worked or replaced. I had a knocking sound once on the driver side rear that turned out to be worn wheel bearing housing in the swing arm. I hope you can find your problem I am curious also.

good luck

Joe
'71 super now collecting parts for restoration
Quote 0 0
brianwheelies
make sure lugs are tight(i made that mistake before) and check to see if the bushings holding the diagonal arms are good. also check to see that shocks are tight and tranny mounts are good.
Quote 0 0
RicoSuave
The suspension all looks like it's in pretty good shape I haven't found anything that was worn or loose that's why I'm finding it so confusing.
Quote 0 0
AircooledDad
My 72 did that for a while too. Sounded like someone was tapping on the floor pan under the rear seat of the driver side. I only heard it when I accelerated or stepped on the breaks. It turned out to be the E-Brake lever in the drum lost it’s C clip and work loose from the shoe. I never felt anything different when I set the break either.
Mike
61 Ghia, 67 Deluxe, 72 Super
Quote 0 0