organcory
Is there a way to Clean the engine without taking it out.  Can I use engine cleaner on it?  Can I spray it off, is there anything I need to try and not get water in?  Any help would be appreciated.

Cory
Cory Organ
West Columbia, SC
1972 Super Beetle - "THE BUG"
1966 Ford Mustang
Quote 0 0
s0cks
You could have it steam cleaned, you could do a pressure washer, you could use solvents, you could sand and paint it. Endless options here. I'd suggest you take it up to the local mechanic and ask him to steam clean it for you.
73 Super Beetle
Quote 0 0
NoH2O
Hey man, I usually use Engine Brite made by Gunk. It's like $5 and takes no time. Spray on, let it sit 10-15 mins. and rinse off. I use a bristle brush on the oil pan. It gets everything out of in betwen the fins. Just make sure you cover the distributor and anything electrical, and the intake, carb. area. You shouldn't have to spray up near thre carb. but it doesn't hurt to wrap it in Saran wrap or something Try not to spray a hose directly on the plug areas either. Most solvents have directions that go into more detail, and for the easy fix I'd go that way. Good luck.
'63 Ragtop
'56 Ragtop
'78 Riviera camper

"..at least I'm enjoyin' the ride"
Quote 0 0
veedo
I agree with noH20. Works great and be careful of where the water goes.
Air cooled before water cooled. They both need more to go fast. Let them breathe and breed the more the better. 55 oval, 58 ragtop,
57 vert, 67 vert, 75 german look monster.
Quote 0 0
organcory

Alright thanks for the info.  I am going to be cleaning a little this weekend.  Thanks.

Cory Organ
West Columbia, SC
1966 Ford Mustang
Quote 0 0
nipper552003
I cleaned my engine from my '64 last fall.  It was so incredibly gooped up the cooling fins weren't even fins- just areas of 30-40 yr. old grease and oil combined with red Arizona soil and sand, baked a la Phoenix-style into a hard crust.  I had to physically scrape first with screwdrivers, wire brushes, and whatever else worked to loosen the stuff.  Then I went to Wal-Mart and bought something called "Purple Power" Degreaser in the auto detailing section.  It comes in spray bottle, and gallon refills.  Cheap stuff, but incredibly effective.  Spray it on, wait awhile, and hose it off.  Repeat as needed, with scrubbings with cheapo Dollar General  Store scrub brushes.  I tried the Gunk, and Goop aerosol degreasers, and they worked, but not as well as the water-based P-P stuff, and P-P was cheaper and maybe more environmentally friendly.  To do the best job, you really need to drop the engine, which will allow you to paint any areas stripped of paint (which WILL happen, especially with the aerosol, petroleum-based products such as Gunk or Goop) and detail the engine compartment at the same time.... when you are done, it will look like a brand new engine!   Make sure you get up in the areas around the push-rod tubes which are very hard to get at, and are usually badly crudded up (and very important for cooling).  Be very careful of high-pressure hoses which can get water just where you don't want it, and even erode seals, causing leaks. Good Luck!
John Scribner
 (after picture)
Quote 0 0
71SuperBee

Cory,

I know that this is a old post but just to throw in about the water in the cap or dizzy after washing. Take some wd 40 and it will dry up the water, if there isn't a flood going on. Just a tip that works for me... So if it runs wild take the cap off and spray it and let her ride. it will dry it all out... atleast it has for me..

Aaron

71 Super Beetle AKA:"THE BUG!!"
Quote 0 0
organcory

Thanks Aaron.. As always great information.

Cory Organ
West Columbia, SC
1966 Ford Mustang
Quote 0 0
aircooled299
A bit of useless trivia, the "WD" in wd-40 is for water displacement and unfortunately that's about all it works for now. The formula was changed a few years to make it more environmentally friendly. It used to work great for finding vacuum leaks, cleaning off tar and magic marker, etc. but not anymore. AAAh progress.
-Patrick
Quote 0 0
Ryan

Actually water dispersion.  Agree'd that it's horrible as an oil.  I wouldn't use it in the cap though.  It's still an oil base and will stay there itself,, and it does conduct electricity.  Therefore it's possible to introduce cross firing and also give a nice sticky surface to attract dirt.  If your cap is wet, use a towel.  --Ryan

Quote 0 0