71SuperBee
Hey there everyone, can someone tell me what the best stuff to use on cleaning up chrome and making it look a little better?? I have wing windows that need cleaned and I wasn wanderin would I need to buy new ones or just get something to clean these with?

Aaron
71 Super Beetle AKA:"THE BUG!!"
Quote 0 0
flash
I don't know about cleaning chrome, but I can tell you the best chrome and window cleaner I ever found is Armour All auto glass cleaner.  It works great on the paint as well as the windows, chrome wheels and accessories.

Loren
Loren R. Knapp
In The Hot Sonoran Desert of Arizona - 73 Super Beetle "The Blues."
Quote 0 0
71SuperBee

thanks loren   i was just needing to know because my cresents have primer on them...thanks

71 Super Beetle AKA:"THE BUG!!"
Quote 0 0
nipper552003
Hello-
Chroming on these old beasts is quite heavy and durable.  Many times it just needs a good cleaning and polishing to bring out the deep rich shine.  Pitting is common, andd nothing short of re-chroming will eliminate it, but the effects of small pits are minimized by cleaning thoroughly (use a de-greaser if necessary), and then any metal polishing compound such as Flitz, Simichrome, Brasso, etc. with soft cloths.  I've used a buffer wheel (not usually necessary), and even added jeweler's rouge (a red waxy stick compound used to polish jewelry) to the Brasso to give it extra power.  Be careful when polishing some of the "chrome" on VW's- it's really anodized aluminum, and the polishing compounds will remove the anodizing, usually in spots.  That leaves you with the dillema of deciding to completely strip all the anodizing (an agonizingly hard, filthy job) or replacing the part.  I learned this lesson the hard way.  Things like the body trim strips, and VW symbol on the front hood are aluminum, not chrome, and best just replaced if they look bad.  Oh, and by the way, you can use 0000 steel wool with the metal polish on real chrome to remove stubborn stains and small pitting.  Won't scratch the chrome if you are gentle.
John Scribner 
Quote 0 0
Wayne
I wrote an article for VWTrends called "All that glitters is Chrome". During my research I found many experts recommending Simichrome Polish from Germany.

Here's some information from a site that sells it;

http://www.leonuniform.com/Simichrome.htm
Quote 0 0
webwalker
IIRC the gas frame (the 'C' around the glass is chromed. But the rest of the affair, including the vertical bar, is *anodized*. I could be wrong.

I went through these exact pains with my 72. Finally found a guy who was selling complete wings "new" on ebay. Ha. NOS, maybe, but NOS Mexican tinted GREEN. Gag. and Ugh.

So I drilled out the pivot rivet, bought new mexican units from CIP1 and installed them in the large frame unit and riveted them in. Looks great. Cost me a LOT more than it should have through.

RMW
Quote 0 0