dods1600
I was wondering what everyones opinions were on the different types of carbs. Does a certain brand have a better track record than others, or do they all have essentially the same type of bang for there buck. This is also assuming that you are making an everyday street machine.
1600cc biggest most powerful engine for a stock beetle. Power house!:) Smokes the tires in first in the rain
Quote 0 0
Wayne
Did you read the last two High Performance 101 articles in the Tech section? Ryan did a two parter on hi-po carbs and set-ups.
Quote 0 0
space_age_cesar
There's also an article in this month's VW trends about different types of carbs, but it's mostly a short profile about each one. The article doesn't go on to compare carbs or point out strengths and weaknesses.
1971 SB going through dramatic, arduous, costly, and time consuming modifications (currently: kaputz).
1969 Manual Beetle stock daily driver
Quote 0 0
Ryan
Many people prefer Dells over Webers, but they are increasing hard to find in even used form, and very few places carry replacement parts. I use Webers, they're available (for now) and easy. --Ryan
Quote 0 0
68autobug
Kadrons are the most used twin carburetors in Australia, followed by Webers... single or Twin...
Lee --
68AutoBug - helping keep air cooled Volkswagens alive in Australia & around the World -

http://community.webshots.com/user/vw68autobug
-
Quote 0 0
Bullyboy
If you buy the kads get them from AJ at lowbugget.com. Just tell him all the paticulars of your car, engine and driving style he looks after the jetting and set-up . They bolt up easy, two screws to adjust(mixture,idle) and enjoy
A lot less grief than buying something and not knowing where to start.
Mark, Dorinda, and Wilbur
Quote 0 0
sector51
are dcnf carbs any good?
73 super beetle
Gene Berg 2213cc
Quote 0 0
68autobug
[B]I dont really know much about weber DCNF etc,
but they seem to be used by many people...
the biggest problem with any carburetor is the jetting..
the jet size to air mixture etc... all these things need to be accessed correctly... Many people run very rich mixtures with beetle engines of all sizes... usually large engines... once You have the correct settings... its easy street from there on... Power Yes.. Economy.. usually No ??
but not always... I know a fellow who has always used a single weber carburetor on His stock 1600cc beetle engines.
Usually, You can get more power plus similar economy from twin carburetors set up correctly...
My Son runs a holley bug spray [twin barrel] and it really goes.. but at a price.. Fuelwise.... He also has exhaust extractors and ratio rockers..

Lee .. 68AutoBug -- Australia --
68AutoBug - helping keep air cooled Volkswagens alive in Australia & around the World -

-
Quote 0 0
aircooled299
A lot of people love DCNF carbs. The best thing about them is that they will fit under the engine cover on a squareback so you can build a larger motor and actually get enough gas to it without having to sacrifice the whole back of your car. They can be a little tricky to find but if you look around they are definitely out there. I don't know about jets though, they haven't made the carbs in a while so they might be hard to find. My squareback is in the back of the fix up line right now but i'll find out when I start back up on it.
-Patrick
Quote 0 0
sector51
well yeah i have it on my engine. I got the whole 2213cc engine kit from gene berg for about 8 grand. They came with dcnf carbs, but i didnt really know much about them. i have had the engine in there for 2 years. I inherited the car from my dad a couple months ago. We spent around 20 grand into the whole car. Only thing i really want are some nice porsche rims.
73 super beetle
Gene Berg 2213cc
Quote 0 0