Ryan
I agree that it's a great trick, I use it quite often. Just no where near aluminum, and especially nowhere near a mag case. I've got way too much money tied up in my heads to ever worry about what ifs. Forgot to mention, it's also easy to change the heat treat of the heads with too much heat. Becoming plastic and losing heat treat are both very real problems that can occur simply by overheating the heads when you push it too hard, you don't even need a torch to get that hot. Ever spun a valve with dychem on the seat and seen an unever wear pattern? It's from the seats moving when the head becomes plastic.
I'm not trying to shoot this idea down, just saying that if it were me, I'd bust the stud, and drill & tap before torching anything on the heads. --Ryan
Quote 0 0
javajuice
Just wanted to pass along my experience with cip1's advice on using a butane torch to heat up the nut on the exhaust stud to a glow and then it came right off. I did not use liquid wrench before hand. I always reccomend do your research when you are doing something new to you, there are a lot of tricks to removing the nuts, but this sounded best to me and it worked great. I had read other people's posts about nut crackers (awkward), liquid wrench (does'nt work for everyone), and the broken studs and the aftermath. Torches work great.
formerly 1973 Super Beetle: Bugpack quick shift, Bug pack hide a way, TMI light grey tweed seat upholstery, a decreasing amount of grey primer ;)
Quote 0 0
Ryan
Careful with heat around the heads. Aluminum starts becoming plastic (plyable, won't return to correct shape) at about 400F, way before a nut glows red. --Ryan
Quote 0 0
dods1600
For the kind of heats that a crack case is going to endure you could make it out of a thin wall aluminum and it still wouldnt warp due to heat. And if it does you have bigger problems than a warped block thats for sure.
1600cc biggest most powerful engine for a stock beetle. Power house!:) Smokes the tires in first in the rain
Quote 0 0
sup73bk
I love the torch trick, it is like cheating! However, you haven't lived until you torqued a few heads of bolts off.
1972 1302S
dual 34 icts,Pertronix Points,Corbeau Seats, GT Exhaust, Lower front and rear sway-bars, Strut tower bar, Jacob's Elec. Ign., Empi Shifter, Front Disc Brakes & SS Brake Lines

1973 Squareback (1776cc, dual 40mm)
Quote 0 0