cjs
Hello everyone!

I am planning on rebuilding the engine in my '71 Super Beetle, but would like your suggestions on what needs to be done.

Here are my criteria, just don't know if it is possible or not.
1. I would like to get about 200 HP out of a VW engine.
2. I would like it to able to be a daily driver, not a drag car.
3. Would like to keep the cost down as much as possible, but obviously needs to be reliable to fit #2.

That's really it. What would I need to do to my stock case to make this possible? I know I will have to machine out part for the larger pistons/cylinders that will be used, but what else needs to be done?

Any information would be great!
Thank you.
-Chris (Iowa's VW Rookie)
Quote 0 0
fatalifeaten
I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but 200 horses isn't going to be cheap no matter how you put it together. Stock they had about 65 horses. We're not talking your average Honda or Nissan here, You can do a heck of a lot with 120 horses in a bug, so depending on what you're really thinking of doing, you might not need to put 200 HP down.

What's your budget?

Rough list of things you'd need to do, not complete or in any particular order:

READ TONS OF TECH DISCUSSIONS!

* Bore the case for larger cylinders and a longer stroke crank, and for full flow oiling. have it shuffle pinned and the area behind number 3 welded up. You can also just buy a new Aluminum case already prepared for your parts, they run about 700 bucks.
* Toss your stock heads, no way you're going to get your numbers with them. Buy new heads opened up to match your cylinders and prepared to meet your target horsepower numbers. You can easily drop more than a grand on this stage alone.
* Counterweighted crank in your preferred stroke.
* Cam. Consider straight cut gears.
* New Pistons and Cylinders
* Ratio rockers
* Carbs, Fuel injection, Turbo, etc. You can drop thousands here.
* New Transmission. The stock trans can't handle more than about 100-110 HP before it dies. new clutch and pressure plate.

The list goes on and on. You can drop 4 grand on a good motor and that's if you do the labor.

You see now why I asked your budget.

On the other hand, you can put together a nice street motor that will give you good performance, decent mileage, and be pretty reliable in the hundred to 110 horsepower range and spend maybe half that.

Power doesn't come cheap, even in VW's

Daily Driven Dubz Phoenix AZ Family

'66 Deluxe
'63 Deluxe ragtop
'61 Deluxe
Quote 0 0
cjs
That is what I was looking to hear/find out.

What does it take to get over 100 HP?

-Chris
Quote 0 0
cjs
What do you think about these?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/VW-Complete-Motor-2276-trike-sand-rail-bug-speedster_W0QQitemZ270260577213QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item270260577213&_trkparms=39%3A1%7C65%3A3&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245.l1318

Will a long block drop into my '71 Super without modding anything else?

-Chris
Quote 0 0
fatalifeaten
You can do 100 horses with a 2180 pretty nicely. Since you don't want a drag motor, I'd keep the cam somewhat mild and keep your power in the midband and put the torque curve in low to mid (for grunt at lights and onramps and the like). Something like a 110 or 120. There's lots of ways to get there, just do a little digging and see what makes the most sense to you. Dual Carbs are probably going to be a must. Figure out what your absolute top dollar limit is for carbs, and buy the next step up. (probably weber 44's) You can always jet down and detune bigger carbs if you need to, but it's pretty hard to stuff 44mm vents into a 40mm carb. Headwork, headwork, headwork!  Good carbs aren't worth anything if your heads can't handle what the carbs are dumping into them. You will in all likelihood spend the most time and money here, but this (IMO)is the single best thing you can do for a VW engine to make it perform well.

Do some research, look at what parts work well together, and plan out what you want to do BEFORE YOU BUY ANYTHING! Don't cheap out on parts, quality's worth paying for. Buy good stuff once, and only cry once over the bill. Cheap out on one thing, and you run the risk of buying all new stuff again when the one cheap part fails and you have to replace everything else that broke due to the failure.

'66 Deluxe
'63 Deluxe ragtop
'61 Deluxe
Quote 0 0
fatalifeaten
I wouldn't touch that ebay motor with a 10 foot pole. Not enough information about the internals and that's potentially spendy for what you get. If you're going to have it built, check your local VW community, find a good builder locally, and work out a deal. or, find a reputable dealer online and do the same. thesamba.com is a good place to look for good builders.

Terminology:

A longblock is the assembled bottom end of an engine. The case, and all internal components, heads, oil pump, rockers. Essentially everything that attaches directly to , or belongs inside, the engine case itself. It's not a complete engine and you'll need many parts on top of the longblock to have a complete engine.

A turnkey engine is everything you need to bolt it in, "turn the key" and go.

A shortblock is just the case and internals. no pistons, cylinders, heads, etc.

'66 Deluxe
'63 Deluxe ragtop
'61 Deluxe
Quote 0 0
cjs
What would be your suggestion for a road course type engine?

I know I would have to put a lot of money into the suspension as well.

I really am looking for something that is quick off the line with a good midrange (for your daily stoplight racing) and also something that could be used to race parking lot courses, like local SCCA.

This is great information.
Thank you.
-Chris
Quote 0 0
cjs

What would be your suggestion for a road course type engine?

I know I would have to put a lot of money into the suspension as well.

I really am looking for something that is quick off the line with a good midrange (for your daily stoplight racing) and also something that could be used to race parking lot courses, like local SCCA.

This is great information.
Thank you.
-Chris

Quote 0 0
davygrvy
A mild Type4 upright conversion might work for you.  See http://www.aircooledtechnology.com for more detail.  Even just a stock 2.0 liter with dual carbs should be about 100Hp.
Quote 0 0
olspeed
Check with SCCA in your area first as at least up here a few years back they were stating that nothing over 5 years old unless they run a vintage class.I haven't checked with them in about 7 years so I don't know what they are doing now. But at the time there weren't enough vintage cars to make a class so I got out of it.
Olspeed
66 Ghia, "Dexter" 76 flat window Beetle
It's not a Car it's a VolksWagon!
Quote 0 0