ICBM Show full post »
ICBM
I've decided on a 90.5x82 setup. What are good balanced heads for street driving and performance? Also, I have a Dual Tip Monza Exhaust. So I should be able to handle the tad extra output. Any budget/performance carb suggestions too? Hehe, thanks again for any help.
Quote 0 0
NoH2O
Nice!! That's quite a jump from the first post in the $750-$800 range LOL!! 2110 I believe that is? My buddy runs a 1915 with Bugpack S/E Comp heads. There supposedly 70% increased flow, stock, out of the box. They also have the dual springs instead of single. He paid some serious cash for them, around $700 a piece I think. I've got CB 044's on my 1835. They seem pretty decent, but I definitely don't know the fine details that need to be paid attention to when building a motor of that size. Something like that needs attention to detail for sure. Marc or Ryan are the gys you need to talk to about that. They could tell you what will work best for what your trying to accomplish. Good luck, it sounds like your going to have a real thumper!
'63 Ragtop
'56 Ragtop
'78 Riviera camper

"..at least I'm enjoyin' the ride"
Quote 0 0
Ryan

The Monza exhaust isn't gonna cut it for a stroker, they barely breathe better than stock.  Carbs, at least dual 44's, 48's if you can afford them and get a good set of heads to match.  What cam?

Heads, depends on what you want and how much you want to spend.  Heads are nothing without porting.  Heads should be one of the largest investments in the engine if you're looking for power.  --Ryan

Quote 0 0
ICBM
Yeah, I've been pinching pennies (and tapping into the college $) hehe, but after looking at the prices on heads, I have a feeling my eyes are too big for what I can reasonably afford right now. I had a bad feeling someone was going to say that Ryan. I bought that exhaust for my old stock motor. Oh well. Guess I'll throw it on eBay. So now I'm thinking of just doing the case/pistons/crank to get me on the road and upgrading the carbs/heads/exhaust later. Would this work? A stroker with stock everything else?
Quote 0 0
ICBM
I'm sorry, I keep on changing my mind, but I'm learning things as I go. So what's a good case? I noticed magnesium and aluminum. What's the difference? My dad works on a CNC lathe, so he could probably do any machinging for me, right?

On pistons: I want stroker instead of Big Bore, right?

And the crankshaft: made of Chromoly if it's 82mm is what I read. Anything else to note?

I want to build this engine to perform AND last, even if that means taking it apart again to finish it next summer.
Quote 0 0
Ryan

A lathe won't help you much, if any.  If he has access to a mill, that's a different story.

The problem with a stroker that has all stock bolt ons is you will hate it.  You would pretty much require a small cam, much smaller than you'd want with the right heads/carbs/exhaust.  That means you'll be tearing the engine down again when it's time to upgrade.  You're best shot is to just drive whatever is in there right now, and work the new engine on the side.  The absolute worst thing to do when building an engine that you want to last is to rush things.  Do it once and do it the first time.  --Ryan

Quote 0 0
ICBM
I see. Only one problem, what I have now is seized. =[ So maybe I should just go all stock for now and upgrade when I have a real job. Hehe, damn. Oh well. Thanks for everyone's help! I'll use that extra money for school supplies I guess. =/
Quote 0 0