GRIZDOG

I've just installed my newly rebuilt engine.  I also installed a new starter and replaced the electrical connections.

I know the battery was dead, so I hooked it up to another vehicle.  Even if it doesn't have enough power to turn the car over, shouldn't it still turn the starter?  But nothing happens.  I get the two red lights on the dash for the generator and the oil pressure, but that's it.  When I turn the key, absolutely nothing happens.  The starter doesn't budge.  Can someone tell me if maybe I have something hooked up wrong?  I didn't have this problem before I took the engine out.

If anyone could confirm the orientation of the electrical connections on the starter (there are only 3, including the positive battery cable), then I could rule that out as part of my problem.

It would also be helpful if someone could point me to a good resource for helping me confirm that the rest of the electrical connections in the engine compartment are connected properly.  I removed the engine some time ago and while I am pretty sure I put everything back right, I would like to double check.  Unfortunately, I did not label the connections before I removed them.  At the time, I did not know it would be so long before I put the engine back in.

1972 Super Beetle
Quote 0 0
Cobey
One thing I can suggest is to look at the wires to the coil.  Specifically, the ones that go from the coil to the choke and idle solenoid. If you put those on the same side as the condensor ("-" side), you'll get the exact same problem.  (Don't ask how I know that.)

Are you in need of wiring diagrams?
http://66.34.72.138/wiring/

[url=http://geeks-at-large.com/ghia](0)(=|=)(0)[/url] 68 Ghia Vert - Gina
[url=http://geeks-at-large.com/edel/](O\U|U/O)[/url] 72 SB Vert Autostick - Edel
Quote 0 0
aircooled299
If it worked before, the first thing I'd check is the solenoid wire. On your starter there are 2 wires, a big one and a small one. The small one goes to your switch. Make sure you have a clean connection. Is your starter new? I have replaced starters with ones  that were junk right out of the box. It's not that uncommon. You can also take off the switch wireat the starter,  put a meter on it, and have a friend turn  the key to start. You should have 12 volts. If you have 12 v hook it back up and have the same friend turn it to start while you tap the starter with a wrench, pliers or something. Make sure the car is out of gear and the E'brake is on. You don't keed to win a Darwin Award If it starts up then get a new starter.
-Patrick

Quote 0 0
GRIZDOG

I will try this and let you know.  Thank you for the help.  I am particularly suspect of the way in which I reconnected the coil, so I'm going to start there first.

If you have any other suggestions, please make them, in case these do not cover the problem.

I'd like to find out a good way to trace my wiring if you've got some ideas.  I have a few extra connections that don't seem to go any where.  I believe this may be due in part to the fact that the charcoal canister is missing.  Still, I'd like to be able to verify for myself that I don't need any of these "extra" connections, if possible.

Thanks for the advise.

1972 Super Beetle
Quote 0 0
GRIZDOG

I keep reading about the (+) and (-) sides of the ignition coil.  Although I haven't tried pulling it out to look, I can't seem to find any indication as to which is which.  Can someone tell me how to tell which terminal is the (-) and which is the (+)?

1972 Super Beetle
Quote 0 0
aircooled299
There should be a small + and - on the top of the coil by the post it goes with. The coil won't keep your starter from working, however, if the starter turns the engine and the coil isn't hooked up right it won't start.
-Patrick

Quote 0 0
flash

Once a kid in our old neighborhood, some years back bought a VW baja and was trying to get it to start with absolutely no luck at all.  I took pity on the poor kid and called my VW mechanic who was kind enough to drive over.  He summed up the situation and quickly noted that he had the battery cables attached to the incorrect posts on the battery.  Sometimes it can be a simple thing that is over looked.

Loren

Loren R. Knapp
In The Hot Sonoran Desert of Arizona - 73 Super Beetle "The Blues."
Quote 0 0
GRIZDOG

Any tips on what wires go where on the ignition coil would be helpful.  I've found the (+) and (-) symbols on the coil, so I know which side is which now.  On the (+) side there is room for 3 connections.  On the (-) side, I have room for only 2.  I believe from a previous post in this thread that the condenser from the distributer belongs on the (-) and so the connections from the carb must go onto the (+), since he said not to put the two onto the same side.  I think all that is left is the backup switch and the power wire.  I suppose it might be as easy as putting a test light on the wires I have left to see which one is giving power with the key in the on position.  That should tell me which is my power to the coil (?).  Please let me know if there is anything I am forgetting.

1972 Super Beetle
Quote 0 0
GRIZDOG

OK...

I think I've gotten all the important wiring hooked up to the coil now.  The carb wires are on the (+) side, along with the power wire.  The condenser is on the (-) side.  I now have a new battery, because the other one was shot (confirmed).

I got the starter to make noise by connecting it directly to the positive cable on the battery (only for a second), bypassing the solenoid.  I geuss this means that either the solenoid is bad or the starter switch is bad.  I will most likely buy a new starter switch first, since this will be the easiest (and probably cheapest) fix.

When I got the starter to turn, I expected the engine to turn (but not start, since the key was off and the distributer was disconnected from the coil), but it didn't.  Is than normal under these conditions or should the engine have turned like I thought it should?

1972 Super Beetle
Quote 0 0
aircooled299
so you took the small wire that goes to the starter and touched it to the battery? if so you bypassed the switch but not the solenoid. The motor should have turned over like the switch was on and continued till you took the wire off. If not I would try the tap on the starter trick. It sounds silly but I have used it many times to check a starter. It sounds like you may need one. If you have a test light or meter, hook it up to the wire coming from the switch and it should light up/read 12v. Another thing to check out while you're out there, it's a long shot and hopefully has nothing to do with the problem, is put your tranny in 3rd, take off the brake and see if you can push the car a foot or two. I had a similar situation and my flywheel had come off and that made the starter jam up. Don't panic, that's probably not it but you may as well check. Sounds like you have the wires hooked up right. Condensor hooked to - and the rest to +.
-Patrick

Quote 0 0