GRIZDOG

I recently rebuilt the engine in my 72 SB - well, actually I finished the job almost a month ago, but it still hasn't been started!  My Beetle won't turn start.  It doesn't make any noise AT ALL!  No clicks, nor whurrs or chuggs; NOTHING!  Totally dead!

During the past few weeks or more I have re-replaced the starter (because the first NEW starter was supposedly no good).  I've just replaced the ignition switch and before all that I replaced the batter.  So, the entire ignition system is brand new, but it still does NOTHING!

I hope someone can tell me what the problem is.  What else can I replace!?

1972 Super Beetle
Quote 0 0
Biggone

I don't think that you need to replace anything at all.  What I would do is start at the front and work my way back and check for power.  Use a test light or a meter, something!  You will spend all you money replacing things just to find out that you had a wire not grounded/hooked-up/etc.  Wiring isn't fun for me.  It is long and tedious, sometimes just down right frustrating.  Stick to it and you will solve your problem. Just my thoughts.

Quote 0 0
NoH2O
Make sure the system is grounded well. I believe there's a strap on the tranny you may have forgotten when you put the engine back in. Just a guess.

Steve
'63 Ragtop
'56 Ragtop
'78 Riviera camper

"..at least I'm enjoyin' the ride"
Quote 0 0
Cobey
My guess is that you've grounded something on accident.  When you turn the key, do the lights in the speedo come on?

If they do, go back and look at the coil.  The only thing that should be hooked to the "-" side should be the condensor.  If you have put anything else on that side, (e.g. choke, idle solenoid, etc), then she will give you the same symptoms.

[url=http://geeks-at-large.com/ghia](0)(=|=)(0)[/url] 68 Ghia Vert - Gina
[url=http://geeks-at-large.com/edel/](O\U|U/O)[/url] 72 SB Vert Autostick - Edel
Quote 0 0
GRIZDOG

I'll check out all this stuff in the morning.  Thanks for the suggestions.

1972 Super Beetle
Quote 0 0
68autobug

thats a good one Cobey....

never thought of having an incorrect lead on the coil....

although I heard recently of a fellow having the leads around the incorrect way on His coil... He had bought and installed an electronic ignition system.... then His fun ?? or problems began.....

Lee Noonan  -- 68AutoBug -- Australia -- Temp: 0C  or 30

68AutoBug - helping keep air cooled Volkswagens alive in Australia & around the World -

http://community.webshots.com/user/vw68autobug
-
Quote 0 0
GRIZDOG

Ok, I did it!  The starter is turning and so is the engine.  The problem was that there was another wire hidden under the car that I had forgotten about, due to the length of time between when I removed the old starter and added the new one.  So I was just being a dumb dumb by using the wrong wires to plug into the starter.  Oh, well.  I'll know better next time.

It still hasn't fired up yet though.  I'm not concerned about that yet because I still need to replace the condensor and points.  I would have done so already, but even though I ordered them a while ago, they never showed up.  Once I do replace them, I will let you know if I have any trouble getting it to start.

For now, I do know that I'm getting feul, because I can see it being pumped into the throat of the carb.

Let me know if I should look for something else first, if I still don't get it to turn over after I replace the points and condensor.

Thanks for the help so far and for any advise you have for me in advance as I now try to get it to start.

Thanks again.

1972 Super Beetle
Quote 0 0
GRIZDOG

I've started the Bug and it runs!!!  Only it won't idle... 

Any tips on how to keep it idling would be great!  In the meantime, I'm going to keep tinkering with it and reading my manuals to see if I can find something that will help me.

Thank you in advance for your tips.

1972 Super Beetle
Quote 0 0