JoBamBo
I'm having this problem that is really pissing me off. The bug starts decently and is able to stay on for a short amount of time (5-15 mins) Before warming up, it seems that not all the cylinders are producing power, only after it warms up, you can feel the power. But thats not the problem, after running it awhile, like taking up and down the street. The car will turn off, and wont turn on. engine smells like fuel and fuel is also coming out of the minor exhaust leak. I have a Bocar 34 pic 3 Carb If that helps.

Thanks
Quote 0 0
Ryan
If you've got raw fuel in your exhaust, then you need to look at fuel pressure, your inlet valve (needle & seat) and your float. Fuel pressure too high, leaking inlet valve or a float with a leak (filled with fuel) will all cause those symptoms. --Ryan
Quote 0 0
JoBamBo
Thank you for pinning this. I have bought and rebuild the carb 3 times now, all new needles. What is the "seat" and intake valve? I have checked the float, it floats and is dry inside. Also, how would i decrease fuel pressure?
Quote 0 0
Ryan
Actually I didn't pin this up, not sure who did. My experience with rebuild kits was that the washers that go under the inlet valve are not always the right thickness and thus affect float height. That washer BTW is what determines float height by moving the inlet valve closer or farther away. The needle and set is the inlet valve, it's just one piece with different names. The needle is what's on the other side of that pin that moves up and down and it sits in the seat, all one sealed unit on a stock carb.
Before you go messing with fuel pressure, you need to find out what it is. Most auto stores will rent a fuel pressure gauge, some for free with deposit, or you can buy one for less than maybe $20. You 'T' it into your fuel line between filter and pump. I don't know the requirements of a stock carb offhand, but I'd venture to say that anything over 3.5 psi at any rpm is too much. Even my dual Webers don't need more than about 2.5 psi.
If you find you need to lower it, then you need to remove the pump and stand. Gaskets are added between the stand and case to decrease fuel pressure, they can be stacked like shims. It's hit and miss to get the right pressure so it may take a few tries to get it where you want it, if you even need to mess with it. But do at least check it out. --Ryan
Quote 0 0
68autobug
Sounds like an excess of Fuel as Ryan said...
Maybe You have too thin a washer under the needle & seat..
allowing the fuel level to be too high and flood the engine with raw fuel...
Has this problem only started after adding the Carburetor You are now using??
Have You changed fuel pumps recently?? If Not, its probably not the fuel pump...
If the fuel pressure is too high, the pressure stops the needle & seat from shutting off... when the carby Bowl is full of fuel...

Lee -- 68AutoBug --
68AutoBug - helping keep air cooled Volkswagens alive in Australia & around the World -

http://community.webshots.com/user/vw68autobug
-
Quote 0 0
JoBamBo
Thanks for the replies. I have set a Pressure Guage and it was at a constant 2.0 - 2.2 PSI. I TRIPPLED the washer and it is still flooding. This all started when I replace the Pistons and the Chambers with new ones. I found out that i was running 2 Cyclinders while 1 and 3 were Hardly working. I replace the Pistons and the Chambers with new ones. I am using the Same fuel pump and Carb that i used when it was running decent.
Quote 0 0
JoBamBo
If possible, can someone answer this for me? and also my Grant steering wheel problem?
Quote 0 0
sup73bk
Gas in the exhaust that seems weird, this is just my thoughts, could it be that maybe one or two cylinders are not firing and the other two are merely pushing fuel through the head and into the exhaust. Check the compression? Good Luck!
1972 1302S
dual 34 icts,Pertronix Points,Corbeau Seats, GT Exhaust, Lower front and rear sway-bars, Strut tower bar, Jacob's Elec. Ign., Empi Shifter, Front Disc Brakes & SS Brake Lines

1973 Squareback (1776cc, dual 40mm)
Quote 0 0
JoBamBo
Doesnt it seem weird that the car IS Running at full power for the first 10 or so mins. but then it starts to flood. Personnaly, i think there is something wrong with my Choke, but i tried everything to it.
Quote 0 0